service pack one vs service pack 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: service pack one vs service pack 2

service pack one vs service pack 2

i am tired of the bull with service pack 2 so i went back to service pack 1 after hearing about buisness waiting to emplament it , is there any disadvantage to this from a sucurity standpoint , i run a 2.8 gighrt p4 with ht , win xp pro , 1 gigb ram ,sygate personal firewall pro , and protect x

Hoopy Frood
    I think it's worth using, if only for its better wireless support. Here's a link to what Microsoft says it does: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...eoverview.mspx

Did some more looking. Found this: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2.asp

The new Windows Firewall is arguably XP SP2's most important feature, and it's certainly the most well-known: That's because the Windows Firewall's predecessor--XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)--could have prevented Slammer and other electronic attacks last year if only the company had decided to ship it turned on by default. Instead, millions of customers were infected with worms and viruses. Well, Microsoft got the message, and Windows Firewall's single biggest feature is that it's turned on by default.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Windows Firewall includes other improvements over ICF. Most obviously, it presents a far simpler and accessible user interface for configuring its myriad of features, many of which weren't present in ICF (Figure). For example, the default state of Windows Firewall is on, but with exceptions. These exceptions are basically a list of the programs that you allow to receive messages from the outside world (Windows Firewall doesn't prevent outbound, application-initiated communications).
    --
    In addition to the visible features I've described above, Windows XP SP2 also includes a number of low-level coding changes that will make your system more secure. I won't delve into too much detail here, because frankly there isn't much to discuss, but what it boils down to is that XP is now more resilient to network-based attacks thanks to changes in the way it protects its remote access technologies and your PC's memory.
    --
    The second major improvement is that Microsoft is finally preventing drive-by downloads in IE, another major problem with pre-SP2 systems. Previously, properly configured Web sites could silently install code on your system that would provide new functionality to IE. But this feature--called drive-by downloading--could be used by malicious Web sites to infect your system with viruses, worms, or other malware. So Microsoft has turned off the capability in IE, finally saving users from an invisible and silent danger on the Web. Instead, you're presented with a dialog box explaining the risk, and if the download is from a source you trust, you can elect to install it.

Hope this helps.

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Just Another Geek
    There's a huge list of things fixed with SP2. Some bugs, some securityfixes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Banned
    Your best bet is to read the site of the people who put it out, for sure.
    sp1 .vs. sp2: security wise? I don't really know that, but the XP drive I'm on now, and have been using since I waited in line at midnight to get when it came out, doesn't have any patches on it, never had a problem with it. My other drives I installed from a friends OEM that ver already had sp1 incorporated. I never bothered downloading sp2. From the OS release I've been rather impressed.

thank you everyone, i got it working better, i looked at that list and saw a few non sucrity related fixes i needed with it ,so put it back on

k got a question .. friend of mine is all telling me ... how can i go with sp2 an such ... an that he turned off some services to work faster

anyone know or have any list or anytin that can be turned of for pc to be fastera n that
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by st1mpy
    k got a question .. friend of mine is all telling me ... how can i go with sp2 an such ... an that he turned off some services to work faster

anyone know or have any list or anytin that can be turned of for pc to be fastera n that
    Blackviper.com has a very good list, except that his site appears to be down for maintenance right now. Check back in a week or two and you should find all you need.

- X

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Banned
    Window XP SP2 is really of some !!importance..!!
    Recently my Win2k3 Server machine was hit by a virus.. The activity shown by the virus is explained below:

-- Shut down NAV
    -- Froze all the control features of Windows System like Task Manager
    -- Network outgoing traffic was observed to be too high from the infected machine
    -- By default some web pages were opened by the Internet Explorer an infinite no. of times till the machine crashed, can you judge what that web page was which opened so many times... it was a link to upgrade of Window XP to SP2. May be that link is just a mock one. BUt it shows the virus writer's jealousy with the SP2, 'cauze much of their previous effort to write viruses would be going wasted on installation of this SP.

Inviting more comments from the fellow members

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by gauravjulka
    BUt it shows the virus writer's jealousy with the SP2, 'cauze much of their previous effort to write viruses would be going wasted on installation of this SP.
    I don't think it shows their jealousy. I think it's more of a poetic irony that either Service Pack 2 could've protected you from this, but you were too stupid to download it. Just my thought.

- X

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Banned
    why .. the poetic irony man xierox.. the SP2 is released by the company to protect its people.. nt to take care of virus writer's interests.. now which category you put urself in.