Thread: CD-Rom just goes!

CD-Rom just goes!

Hi ...

Sometimes my CD-Rom just disappears without any clear reason and after rebooting it appears agin ... I don't know why .... does any one know .... I tried so many things .. but no avail ....

Driver: LG 52X

Thanks

When the cdrom appears again, does it work? This is a sure sign that the cdrom is slowly dying or the cable is going bad. The OS sometimes does not recognize the device and that is why it disappears. I had the same issue with my pc.

Another thought is to check and see if the system's bios is detecting the device when the OS is not.

I hope this helps.

Just Another Geek
    Check your cables and see if they're properly seated.
    Your PSU might also be underpowered.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    I think Sir Dice has it..

I have noticed with my new machine P4...that I over draw power from my UPS..which is a 350..looks like I have to update that too

Updayes...updates...updates

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I have the same problem, but it only goes away when I try to re-install Diablo II, Lord of Destruction. Everything else is fine, other CDs DVDs anything; just when I put any CD of Lord of Destruction, it just won't respond. It still shows up in 'My Computer' with the CD name. I can explore the CD and everything, just it won't allow me to open it (which happens to be needed to be done). I tried the manual eject and it doesn't help as the computer still thinks that LoD is still in there.

Any suggestions or explanations possible?

Check your cables and see if they're properly seated.
    Your PSU might also be underpowered.
    When the cdrom appears again, does it work? This is a sure sign that the cdrom is slowly dying or the cable is going bad. The OS sometimes does not recognize the device and that is why it disappears
    Driver: LG 52X
    YEp that covers all possable causes..
    Loose IDE connectors or poorly constructed cables will cause this sort of problem.. as well as random system locks..
    PSU overload.. yep.. devices not responding/identified.. also system instability and random locks
    device failure.... depending on the type of failure will determine the symptom.. but disappearing device is one, also ide buss lock is probable

the easiest to try.. as a start is to check the plugs.. are they firm in the sockets..
    then ..either try your CD-ROM in another machine.... or.... try another CD-ROM in your machine.. (preferably both..)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr