Thread: Need a help regarding ssh

Need a help regarding ssh

Hi,
    I'm having machine A @ x.x.x.x (static IP) address. another machine B @ y.y.y.y( no idea about the IP.dynamic one).

I want to connect the B's ssh server from A. Is there any way to connect ?

(I can run small application in B to connect A.But i donno how to pass the socket discriptor to the ssh client and ssh server in both sides)
    Thanx.
    -lok.

Just Another Geek
    I'm having machine A @ x.x.x.x (static IP) address. another machine B @ y.y.y.y( no idea about the IP.dynamic one).

I want to connect the B's ssh server from A. Is there any way to connect ?
    Huh?
    Code:
    me@somemachine:~> ssh machinaA
    password:
    me@machineA:~> ssh machineB
    password:
    me@machineB:~>
    Am I missing something?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

$ssh machineA ... is okai.. but,
    $ssh machineB (I dont know the IP address of machineB,(dynamic ip /behind the router)

The seniario is something like this..

Machine A ~~~~~~ internet ~~~~~ Router(Dynamic IP) - - - - - - - - Machine B
    (static IP)

-lok

Just Another Geek
    Do you know the (Internet) IP of the router?

The router probably uses NAT so you'll need to redirect (forward) port 22 to MachineB on the router. See the router's manual on how to do that..

Then you can ssh to the (Internet) IP of the Router and login on MachineB.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

To find out the IP address of the router machine B sites behind... have someone (you or someone else) visit www.whatismyip.com from a machine BEHIND the router or they can log into the router and check the status page. There are quite a few more ways, but they are the easiest IMO.

If you are going to be logging into machine B on a regular basis and the WAN IP is always changing... you may want to look into dynamic dns. I use dyndns.org and I've seen support for dyndns.org in many home routers.

As sirdice said, make sure you forward port 22 on the router to the internal host (machine b).

In that case, it makes most sense to set machine B with a static IP on their private network so the port forwarding will always work. If the private IP address of machine B changes all the time because it is getting its ip address from DHCP, then you'll have to constantly remap the port forwarding.

Port triggering would not work in this case because machine B won't be initializing the communication.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.