Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM Problem. Possible breakage or dislodge?

RAM Problem. Possible breakage or dislodge?

I have been running my computer at 256.0 MB of RAM for quite some time now. It works fine but it has its fair share of problems when running several different applications at once. I remember some time ago, I estimate anywhere from 1 year to 2 years, I was operating my computer with 512.0 MB of RAM (or 384, I can't remember) because we bought another chip/card and had the guy install it. I know it was working then because I remember checking the Performance in System Properties. I want to know if it is likely that the RAM has been either damaged or dislodged somehow from its slot (I have taken the casing off to remove and install a few things) and what the best course of action would be from here on in, whether it be removal, repair or pushing it back in. I realize that this probably isn't that popular a section on AntiOnline, but thanks in advance for the replies none the less.
    -r.p.

Hi Raccoon,

If that is what you suspect and you've taken the box off before...why not go in an take a look?

Eg

Thanks for the encouragement Egaladeist, but I usually do more harm than good when I tinker without knowledge. Inevitably, I know that I will end up taking it apart, but when I do I want to know what I am looking for. I have seen RAM on its own, but I won't be able to distinguish it when mixed up with all of the other components. Any advice on what not to do, or what to look for once I am in there?

Edit

It turns out that I have a 256.0 chip (working) and a measly 64.0 chip that isn't working. I pulled them both out, dusted them off, vaccuumed out the area and put them back in opposite spots. Still only have 256MB of RAM. The 64 must be shot.

Case Closed.
    -r.p.

Hi,

If it isn't working I would remove it. Also put your 256Mb strip in the lowest numbered slot (0 or 1) this is usually closest to the processor.

Remember you need to be careful with memory upgrades, as if you mix speeds the sytem will default to the slowest.

hi
    well telling us which os you are using will help to determine if you have enough memory.reading from your post i asume that youy had 64 before somone has upgrade it and put another 256.
    running a few aplication at once (specially graphic ones) requires little bit more memory.
    what is your cpu?more details you provide to us will help all of us to get proper answers.
    you sadi you have a share of problams...ok what are they?whats happenign?does pc freeze or reboots or whats happening???
    pls provide us with little bit more details
    in a mean time have a look this site to give you an idea
    http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net...er-memory.html

Well if you subtract 128mb shared ram from 512mb=384 if i am not mistaken so...therefore a seperate screencard will definitely free some ram which will then be 512mb system ram..just disable onboard screencard when you add your other card in the cmos setup..If money is a problem for you at this stage just decrease the amount of shared ram to say 64mb for instance.Also create a swapfile that equals at least double your actual ram=512mb...make the swapfile then 1024mb.

hope it helps
    cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Racoon's profile says Win98SE.

If that is sharing memory it won't be more than 32Mb, with 16Mb being more likely.

He started off life with 64Mb and added 256Mb later.

Unless it has a VGA slot he will have to get a PCI card..............hardly worth it? The best you are likely to find would be 64Mb. Better value would be to increase the RAM, as that would cover the share AND provide a lot more system memory.

Also create a swapfile that equals at least double your actual ram=512mb...make the swapfile then 1024mb.
    That is a common misconception, there is no valid algorithm or ratio You see, the more RAM you have the LESS page file (it is Win98) you need. You only get a benefit if you have a very small amount of RAM in the first place. Then you would manually increase it because Windows will choose too little. 512Mb is as much as Win98SE might be expected to use.

Get AdAware SE, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Ewido and A-squared. Update them then reboot into safe mode and let them clean out what they find.

I would then run an online AV such as Trend Micro's "Housecall"

Then get this:

http://www.x9k.net/

Xen, by Paul Brown. Read the instructions carefully

Also clean out all the dust bunnies from the fans and stuff.

Links:

http://www.emisoft.com/en/software/free/
    http://www.ewido.net/en/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

Current System Specifications:

256.0MB of RAM
    Intel Celeron @ 433 MHz (dated, I know..)
    8MB SVGA Video Care (ditto)
    Windows 98SE

The problem(s) I am having is that my computer ceases to function for anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds at 'random' intervals. Sometimes it will lock up 6 times in an hour, sometimes only once. When I say lock up, I pretty much mean complete freeze (mouse won't move, AltCtrlDel is useless along with all other keys, and any music currently playing 'skips'). I don't think this is so much a problem with my RAM, but with some form of adware/spyware. However, running updated versions of AdAware and SpyBoy in SafeMode did not cprrect the problem. Also, an NAV'03 scan yielded nothing.

The second, less annoying problem I has to do with scrolling up and down on a webpage. Sometimes (usually after extended PC usage, but sometimes right from the initial boot) the music playing will become choppy and slow done because of my scrolling. I suspect this is from low resources, but it came on suddenly while I was using Internet Explorer 6 once some months ago. I later switched to Firefox and the problem stopped, but recently it came back and is now happening even in Firefox.

vanman, could you possibly revise your post and put it in 'neophyte' terminology? Or am I supposed to research the terminology myself?

I'll check Xen out and tell you how it goes. Thanks for the links nihil.

P.S. - Raccoon has to c's.

Edit - I am recieving a "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.x9k.net" message when I click on your Xen link nihil. What is the deal?
    -r.p.

Hi Raccoon ,

Yes I do know how to spell Raccoon, even though we don't have them here.............I also (now) know that my keyboard does not like two sugars in its coffee!!! ...........must get round to cleaning it.

Xen: please keep trying, it must be a web thing I just clicked the link in my post and it took me straight there.

Also, an NAV'03 scan yielded nothing.
    I would replace that for a start, NAV is a well known resource hog and conflict generator. Please try:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Avg is a pretty good free one (hint, disable scheduled scanning)

I think that you may have a memory leak going on here?

This is a PII/266MHz with 128Mb of RAM, and I had problems similar to yours a little while back. I would bet that when you have your problem, the CAPS LOCK key doesn't work either?

I think that a bit of tidying up will help.............most recently used, empty browser cache, empty recent files & documents. Xen is good at that.

Another good idea would be to stop anything you don't really need from autostarting (Start, Settings, Autostart & Tasbar Menu) Start stuff manually when you need it. Also try it without music to see if that makes a difference.

Please try that lot and let me know how you get on.............I have not run out of ideas yet

Firstly, I appreciate your devotion to user submitted problems, like mine.

Secondly:

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi Raccoon ,

Yes I do know how to spell Raccoon, even though we don't have them here.............I also (now) know that my keyboard does not like two sugars in its coffee!!! ...........must get round to cleaning it.
    Haha. The last keyboard I cleaned I broke, so be careful.

Xen: please keep trying, it must be a web thing I just clicked the link in my post and it took me straight there.
    Yea, I got it to work after I read your last post. Odd.

I would replace that for a start, NAV is a well known resource hog and conflict generator. Please try:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

Avg is a pretty good free one (hint, disable scheduled scanning)
    I have Norton configured not to start at the boot. I only run it when I choose to scan for virii and/or update my definitions.

I think that you may have a memory leak going on here?

This is a PII/266MHz with 128Mb of RAM, and I had problems similar to yours a little while back. I would bet that when you have your problem, the CAPS LOCK key doesn't work either?

I think that a bit of tidying up will help.............most recently used, empty browser cache, empty recent files & documents. Xen is good at that.
    I'll give 'er a go and tell you what happens.

Another good idea would be to stop anything you don't really need from autostarting (Start, Settings, Autostart & Tasbar Menu) Start stuff manually when you need it. Also try it without music to see if that makes a difference.
    I have already set the bare minimum to run in msconfig. (I don't even have Autostart)

Please try that lot and let me know how you get on.............I have not run out of ideas yet

You can count on it.
    -r.p.