Windows can't recognize the PCI card? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows can't recognize the PCI card?

There are no exclamation marks in the device manager. In fact, when I install the drivers from the cd-rom (or manufacturer website), I can't even see the driver name in the device manager.
    Just before the driver installs it says, "Windows SP1 has a USB 2.0 inbox driver. Do you want to install [card manufacturer] USB 2.0 driver?" I click yes of course, and nothing.

I took allenb's advice and uninstalled a device that was working and installed the card in place of it. At startup, the bios screen did display a little message saying the "EC-something-or-another was updated successfully" Still, windows found nothing.

I needed USB 2.0 ports for this wireless-g usb network adapter. I guess the card is just bad or something is wrong with my motherboard. Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!

AOs Resident Troll
    I think the card is fried...

Thanks for posting back results...helps me troubleshoot similar issues here..cause there are several good suggestions offered by the members of AO...and I like to know what works...and what doesnt.

Learn something new ...everyday

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I think I would go with allen on this one..my gues also would be recources that clash but maybe is not showing on device manager etc..I take it that you also have onboard usb and i think in that case just remove the usb card again, disable your onboard usb devices in the cmos,switch off ..insert the usb card and then see if it picks it up.You can always enable the onboard ones afterwards..

Another thing,not too sure about this but if it does pick it up and after enabling your other usb,s and they do clash,and all recource settings are used up it is possible to assign extra recources...not tooo sure though.

hope it helps
    cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

AOs Resident Troll
    Not too sure vanman...but again all depends on the mb...but he did pop out a working PCI device and put the card into that slot..still doesnt work...only way to really tell is try in another machine I guess???

I popped in a USB2 PCI card into a PC that has onboard USB1 ...no conficlts..issues...
    But then again it is a good mb ...lots of resources available.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hi vanman, thanks for your reply.

What is the cmos? Your post reminded me what I had to do to get my 3rd party graphics card to work. I had to disable (uninstall? I can't remember) the onboard card in the device manager in order for my new card to be recognized by windows.

This time I unistalled my usb2 card and then I disabled the onboard usb controllers (there were two of them) in the device manager. I shut down, reinstalled the usb2 card, but windows didn't find it this time either. After installing drivers from the cd-rom, it still wasn't listed in the device manager.

Maybe I did something wrong because I don't think I disabled the onboard usb devices in the cmos because I don't know what it is.

Usually not an issue in XP but have you tried the Add Hardware wizard to force the OS to scan for new devices?

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add Hardware.

Maybe try a manual install.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Hi,

Go into Setup and look at the advanced BIOS settings, make sure that USB support is enabled.

It would be a great help if you could test the card in another machine. It could be defective and that would at least prove or eliminate that possibility.

Cheers
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Hello,

I booted into the bios, didn't see anything about onboard usb or usb in general. I did see an option to enable onboard parrallel ports and serials ports.

The good news is, I did try installing the card on another pc (a much older one). And windows 98 was able to detect the card.

btw: what is cmos?

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    CMOS = Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, it works with BIOS to hold system values and settings.

Somewhere in the menus that come up when you enter setup, you should have the option to enable USB Controller and USB Legacy Support. You may have to check all the menus.

I am not sure if you have tried this: go into Device Manager and uninstall ALL USB items including the hub controller, then reboot and let Windows find the devices and drivers do not attempt to install the manufacturers' drivers.

Good luck
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Nihil, I will try your idea about uninstalling all of the usb devices in the device manager. Are they easy to reinstall if things don't work out?

Also, should I remove the pci card before I do this? Or does it make a difference? I have it installed right now.

Thank you.