Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows can't recognize the PCI card?

Hi,

Windows should find all the attached devices and install drivers for them. As they are all there, it should resolve any possible conflicts as well.

Yes, leave the card attached.

Good luck

Ok, I uninstalled all the usb and hub controllers. Didn't have any luck with windows finding my card on startup, even after uninstalling them a second time and installing my pci card in a new slot. I guess my mobo just doesn't want to accept it.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful information all around, atleast it has been a learning experience.

AOs Resident Troll
    sounds like the card is f*&ked............

Unless you can pop it into another machine...I would stop now .....as it "may" be costing you more then your time by now??

Some times you just have to call it quits

MLF
    \EDIT>

Could be the MB is limited....and I have seen many an emachine ...with limited\shared resouces....

I think that maybe your problem...mb limitation

I am not that up on sony oems

just thoughts???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AFLAAACKKK!!
    static frys alot of components
    haha, which brings me to the classic question, did you discharge yourself before doing all of this???
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Old Fart
    One should discharge daily for good measure....

Seriously...since the card worked in another machine under Win98, it appears that either a resource conflict or a couple of bad slots are at the heart of the problem. I can't imagine a USB 2.0 card being manufactured that is not compatible with XP UNLESS it's an issue with SP2. But thats just a crazy notion since we all know how infallible M$ is.

just my .02....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

AFLAAACKKK!!
    When did he post that it worked under windows 98??
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hello, The Duck it was in his last comment in post #18 in the thread.

This really is a weird one, as I would have thought that Allenb~ and Morgana~ had more or less covered all the angles?

I guess I would send the card back at this stage. I have mentioned before that I once had this problem with identical MoBos and identical modems. Switching the modems over got them both working

I am wondering if this card is right at the edge of the manufacturing specifications? that would explain why it won't work in a known working PCI slot, but will work in another machine.

I suggested the deinstall/reinstall because I had that with a USB scanner and WinXP a little while back..............but that did not work

I have done a Google search and this does not seem to be a Sony Vaio problem?

I guess that I would get the PCI card replaced, preferably with a different make..........these things are made in batches so the same supplier may have a whole lot of duds?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Hmmm... if it worked in a 98, it should work in XP. The best thing I can think of is some kind of mobo/card incompatability... But yeh, this is weird...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Old Fart
    I have seen ISA/legacy devices that work fine with 98 but crap out on XP however a USB 2.0 card SHOULD NOT be one of them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but XP has been around longer than USB 2.0 so I'm left wondering if the card is in some way not compliant with the PCI standard that the m/b is using.

One other test...can you install some other PCI card in the slots that are in question here and see if they detect/install?
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

A lot of motherboards show what cards and resources are being used right after post. I would boot up without the card and record whats there and then with the card and check for differences. If there isn't any, then its probably not a windows driver issue.