Thread: Mac wireless problems

Mac wireless problems

I have a mac computer , configured for dhcp to connect to various wireless networks via an airport card... I also have a wireless network at my house (linksys router) to connect to a dsl line, and have had some problems with the modem. the mac refuses to connect. it 'says' its connected, somtimes even shows a signal strength, but it doesn't. There is no encryption (because of this little pest). The mac computer (supposedly) connects fine to other networks, but the time it is connected is a lot shorter. I wish i had more info about the mac's configuration, but i'm not a mac guru, so i don't know how to test much..

any help is greatly appreciated
    FRY: [talking to gunter, a monkey]: \"You want a banana?\"
    GUNTER: \"I don\'t eat banana\'s. I prefer banana flavored energy bar\'s made from tofu.\"
    FRY: \"I don\'t like you\" ~~from futurama episode \"Mars University\"

The absolute first thing I would check is to ensure that your machine is actually pulling an IP address. You can have full connection showing on your wireless system, but this is connecting at the Data-link layer (according to mac address).

I would try assigning a static IP address on your mac that fits with your internal network scheme and see if this resolves the problem. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, then describe what happens and I may be of more assistance.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

I've tried manually setting the ip addresses, but no luck, and i don't believe this is the problem because dhcp will figure out the essid. I want to say it's a faulty wireless card, but it works fine elsewhere. my next thought is that it isn't connected as long on other networks, (a few hours elsewhere, and days here), but rebooting doesn't help. I thought poorly configured router, but i can connect fine with my *nix systems. do you think a new network card is in order?
    GUNTER: \"I don\'t eat banana\'s. I prefer banana flavored energy bar\'s made from tofu.\"

Ok, sounds like you have narrowed it down to the card by process of elimination. I would try re-intalling the driver, but then again this is a MAC and you'll have to figure out how to go about doing that.

Are there multiple wireless signals coming into your house/work area?

Have you ensured that this card is not jumping between networks by defining its access priority?

Do you have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone right by this machine or access point? (yes, this matters)

Have you considered getting rid of the mac?
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Have you considered getting rid of the mac?
    Don't allow your own likes / dislikes get in the way of your help

As for the NIC question :
    Do you HAVE a spare there ?
    They are only a few $/£

Could you get / beg / borrow one now ?

Do you have other boxes to test on your wireless setup [Mac / win / whatever ]?

The mac computer (supposedly) connects fine to other networks
    the Mac IS yours ?
    I'm assuming 2nd hand ?

does it perform as a stand alone PC ?

And 2.4GHz cordless / mobile will interfere with a wireless running @ ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

its my sisters computer...
    i don't like mac's and can't really use them (more of a *nix fan)... no 2.4ghz phones near the router, and i also assume that's not the problem because i have 2 other computers that connect fine, and 1 windows not connected not wirelessly. i do have (many) other cards, but i cant use them because my sister won't use non-mac stuff.(?) and i'm not going to try to install another airport card because i have many other cards. basically there's nothing else i can do correct?

And 2.4GHz cordless / mobile will interfere with a wireless running @ ?
    In my experience, yes. I have been looking for some support online, but I have yet to find any relevant. Not all routers will experience this problem with every phone, because they have the ability to change their channels to reduce congestion. This dynamic changing could present a major congestion problem if there are other wireless access points in the area. for security and mapping purposes I keep all of my access points on set channels.

The first wireless channel is 2.412 ghz and each subsequent channel is .005 ghz higher. the broadcast channel bandwidth is roughly .030 ghz, .015 above and below the set channel, so you have only 3 channels you can use without overlapping. 1, 6, and 11. This is why I wanted to know if there were any other wireless access points in the area. There may be a need to change the channel to a less congested frequency.

My apologies for not liking macs, but I would still like to provide some help with this issue.

I simply think a new wireless card is in order, though it is a strange phenomenon (it works somplaces but doesn't others). If anyone has a better solution than a new wireless card, post it, but i can't imagine this one being a software problem.

thanks for the help