Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem using wep with router

Problem using wep with router

Yesterday I just brought a prolink router with modem. My system is running WinXP sp2 with Intel Pro/Wireless Lan 2100 3B mini pci adapter. I enabled wep and give it a key and changed the ssid. On my system, it detected my router and prompt for the network key when I connect to my router. I typed in the key correctly (but it never tells me if the key is correct...), it proceed to acquire an ip. But when I check the connection status, it says automatic private address. When I turn off encryption, it work without problem. I also tried to connect to another encrpyted network (not mine) and typed in incorrect key, get the same automatic private address problem. How can I solve this?
    btw, this router seem don't have other features like limiting the number of users and mac filtering, so encryption is the only way of increasing security...

Thanks.

are you putting the wep key in as hex? or generate it from a password? Sometimes on the router you generate a wepkey from a password and it converts it to hex, then when you put in the key on your laptop you have to input the hex value of the key as apposed to the text word.

Also make sure you are using the correct key number on both the router and the laptop, they normally give you 4 i believe.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Are you getting a good signal? is the routers firmware up to date? do you have the most recent drivers on your network card? Are you using static IP addressesor DHCP? are you sure you have the same settings on both sides (router and computer)? are they both on the same channel? check caps lock?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I think KR5 has it.

When you type MyP4$$w0|2d into the router and submit it it should show you a hex key, (or 4 keys in some cases), below. You need to copy and paste, (if you can) the first hex version into the auth box on the wireless device. You usually can't just type in MyP4$$w0|2d on the wireless device, though I think I did come across it with one device.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Actually on every dell, linksys, netgear, dlink, and cisco wireless card I was able to just type in "password" as the WEP. In very few cases (I believe it was some proprietary wireless manager) did it make me actually enter the hex version. Not for WEP anyway.

another thing to check, are you using windows wireless manager or the one that came with the card. BE SURE YOU ARE NOT USING BOTH. If both are on theyw ill conflict and kick one another off over and over again. I like the wireless manger that is in windows XP service Pack 2. So I use that on all boxes that I can. But which ever you use make sure it is the only one on, and make sure that is the one that you are configuring.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I am using the windows wireless manager. I used an application to generate a random 128 bits hex key (26 characters) and paste into the router configuration. Then I paste the same hex key in my laptop when prompted for the key. It does not tell me if the key is correct and it say acquiring address, after a while, it just assign automatic private address. All the other settings of the router is default, I only changed the ssid and enabled 128bits encryption.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    This is one of those crazy ideas but have you checked the product documentation yet? If you provided the model of prolink you have, I would have done it for you. The only prolinks that I know about is the Hurricane line which have about half dozen models alone.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

mine is prolink h9000G, I search the doc but can't find anything for my problem.
    I noticed that the router has a channel option and the default value is 6. What is a channel? is it a frequency band? what if other wireless networks around is also using that frequency?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    There are three channels you'll see used with WiFi devices. 3,6 and 11.

If another device is using the same channel then the more powerful device will step on the signal of the weaker one.

There has to be documentation on WEP if the device supports it. Have you contacted the vendor?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I forgot to mention that I have sygate personal firewall pro running and with intel wlan packet driver blocked. I'm not sure if it is firewall cause, I will try disable firewall and test again when no one using.