Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFID my DVD?

Biometric devices can be bypassed. They are just program with a database and what can we do with programs and databases? They are as good as a password and have good uses but not foolproof. I own a **** ton of DVDs and I am with this:

I agree with nihil. Something like this would make me begin to pirate DVDs, something which I do not do at the moment.
    DVDs are digital, your TV is an external device. Intercept the stream of audi and video through DVI and burn hollywood to hell.

//EDIT As HD DVDs are developed I would expect some new antipiracy inovation. Which I don't give a squat about but digital rights or verification measures are not cool.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    They mentioned "special" DVD readers. I know people who own VHS machines from the early 80s still. The idea that all the people who own current DVDs will rush out to buy a special (i.e. more expensive) DVD player is a huge flaw in their thought process. Besides, who in their right mind is going to pay to be more restricted? Isn't this concept the polar opposite of freedom? Now you understand the saying, "History repeats itself.". If the RIAA and the rest of the Hollywood zealots continue down this path, they will quickly learn a lesson they should have in 6th grade American history.

As a quick side note, Gillette has already begun placing RFID chips in their shaving products. Throw "boycott Gillette" into Google. You'll see a lot of interesting data on this.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

At the risk of sticking my foot in said mouth ( I haven't googled gillette) - what beneficial purpose coule the company have at placing the RFID into their razor versus the packaging. Is WalMart forcing them? Are kids violating plasitc molding copyright?

Side note, I still have a VCR from the 80s. You can tune the channels individually which comes in handy since copy measures displace the video synchronization signals. Except tapes suck and I can't stand to watch them anymore versus buying a DVD.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Wouldn't this eventually put the entire retail secondhand music industry out of business?

Wouldn't it also seriously hurt pawn shops and general secondhand stores?

Surely there must be some kind of law preventing the annihilation of an entire industry. If Microsoft can come up on antitrust charges, so can the RIAA. Maybe it would be nice to see them finally convinced that they're not invincible.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!