How can i recover lost information!?

Thread: How can i recover lost information!?

How can i recover lost information!?

I have formatted and installed Win XP again in my computer, I want to know if I can recover the information lost because I forgot to do a backup and I delete my thesis and I have to defend it on tuesday, im really screwed!!...please someone that can help me

Turn your computer off. Now. Every second your box is on increases the chance that a temp file will overwrite your thesis.

Now, before you start following the advice which will inevitably be given here, you should be warned that the chance of recovering your thesis is slim to nil. It was more than likely overwritten during the install process. That being said, it's not impossible that the spot where it resided on the hard disk has not been overwritten yet.

There's unfortunately no simple way to do what you need. I would suggest putting another HD in your computer and installing this one as a slave. Then run some sort of recovery program on the old one, telling it to search unallocated spce, ignore FAT or MFT tables, or whatever term it uses for the recovery of lost files. Make sure you specify temp files to be on a drive which is NOT the drive from which you are trying to recover your thesis.

There are, again, unfortunately, no good free data recovery programs that I am aware of which are very user friendly. I would suggest the Sleuthkit (http://www.sleuthkit.org) as a good open source option. For a Windows option, try the the Forensic Toolkit, from http://www.accessdata.com. They have a trial version with a 5000 file limit. You should be able to recover your thesis if you apply the right filters to the search algorithms.

Like I said, the chance is pretty slim that you will recover your thesis, so you may need to consider alternative options at this point with the little time you have left. A professional recovery would likely either cost something in the thousands, or take far too long for you though.

Hopefully somebody else can suggest something else which may help you out.

Might I also suggest this be moved to the forensics forum?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Well,

I delete my thesis and I have to defend it on tuesday,
    Which means that other people have copies to have read it?

Just try asking them nicely?

ok, thanks guy I was able to recover it with DiskInternal Uneraser, I didn't find the graphics or other important document but luckily i was able to find the document of the thesis, thanks God!. Thanks anyway

thanks God!
    You're welcome!
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

yep cool . .. glad to finaly meet the boss...

REgards Pope..St Undies
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr