Newsweek/NBC

Thread: Newsweek/NBC

Newsweek/NBC

As you all should know, the Newsweek story on Koran desecration caused riots in the Muslim nations in which 11 people were killed. Eight in Afghanistan alone not to mention the extreme anti-American sentiment that has been raised by it.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...8/115508.shtml

Now I’m sure Newsweek didn’t have a clue as to how much hatred and death their article would cause. Although I doubt it would have made much of a difference if they did. After all they can try to make Bush look bad with the story but they had to retract it because it has apparently been fabricated.

Now NBC being fully aware of the damage the Newsweek article has caused has repeated this story on their “Today” show and included a female terrorist’s story of nightly gang rape, in prison, by American soldiers along with a few other rabble rousing rumors.

I agree with Laura Ingraham on this:

"We have an NBC reporter repeating rumors that are clearly being spread by terrorists to inflame sectarian violence in Iraq and to start a civil war."

NBC is beyond a doubt helping the enemy. Turning non-terrorist devout Muslims into terrorists for the defense of their religion/god.

Is the spreading of these tales covered under “free speech/freedom of the press” or is this on a par with shouting “fire” in a crowded theater when there is no fire.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Substitute the expression Mein Kampf in place of "the Koran",
    and you see how ridiculous it all is. It is our duty to desecrate this evil book.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi Tedob 1,

If the story is true...and I don't doubt that stuff like that goes on, even if this particular story is a fabrication...then NBC should report it...but they should go to the person in charge of the offenders first and give him an opportunity to deal with it before they release the news story...that way the issue has a chance to begin resolution before it can be inflamed...

there are bad apples in every walk of life...you might be the co-worker to some of them, and not know it...I lived across the hall in an apartment next to a murderer for months and didn't know it...until the place was inundated with cops...

in my opinion NBC was negligent in that this will only further taint the reputation of the entire military for the sake of a few miscreants...that the military should have been given the first opportunity to deal with.

If your co-worker at GM turns out to be a serial mass-murderer...they don't condemn or taint the reputation of GM for that...the same should apply to the military.

Eg

I was on some Japanese news sites and acording to "Japan Today" news week has retracted the story and "inacurate" their thirst for political ideology has cost lives this time. They are on my **** off list.

WASHINGTON — Newsweek magazine on Monday retracted an article alleging abuse of the Koran at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility which sparked deadly anti-U.S. protests in Afghanistan and other Islamic countries.

"Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Koran abuse at Guantanamo Bay," the magazine said in a one-sentence statement from editor Mark Whitaker

It's not just because of that but also because their Japanese mag a few weeks ago had basically titled "America is dead" with a picture of the American Flag in the trash can and in another recent cover had Bush riding a US flag colored bomb like Dr. Strangelove. They can kiss my ass and especially with this on the heels of a completely fabricated story back during the elections by CBS. I understand that Japan likes to sensationalize their headlines but media outlets who honor their bullshit lines of "Freedom of Press" and "Fair reporting" should print or report something helpful for a change. Or at least pretend to balance content.

And if anyone wants to argue freedom of press what the hell did they think would happen when the article accused american soldiers of throwing The Koran in the toilet to rattle prisoners at Guantanamo???? Even in the face of scandel by left minded media outlets it's Bush's fault..

"When you have an administration that has been as focused on secrecy on as many levels as the Bush administration, it makes it very hard for whistleblowers to work with journalists and to make this sort of thing public,"

Perhaps they don't talk because they become your media scapegoats and rag dolls to the likes of CBS, Newsweek, Micheal Moore and a host of politicians in the senate and house.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

While i always take whatever is reported in americain news sources with a pinch of salt I was surprised to see Newsweek retracting its article. It appares now that the artical was not retracted because it was false but for political reasons. Seems like someone got to their source.

The Pentagon said last week it had seen "no credible and specific allegations" about putting a Koran in a toilet.
    Newsweek last week apologised for, and then retracted its report, after saying it could no longer corroborate the story.
    The White House rounded on the magazine, saying its report had done "lasting damage" to the US image in the Muslim world.
    Then this comes out :
    But the FBI documents made public on Wednesday, after a request from the human rights group American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), show that such allegations had been made at Guantanamo Bay.
    After interviewing a detainee, an unnamed FBI agent wrote on 1 August 2002: "Personally, he has nothing against the United States. The guards in the detention facility do not treat him well. Their behaviour is bad.
    "About five months ago, the guards beat the detainees. They flushed a Koran in the toilet.
    "The guards dance around when the detainees are trying to pray. The guards still do these things."
    Of course this doesn't say weather the accusations are true or false only that they existed and the pentagon knew of them.
    Here is the full story : BBC News Source

This is also well worth reading for a more a balanced account of the scandel.

source
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Yeah I saw those a day after the newsweek rebutle. At the same time, what is the point of journalism that sparks inocent death. Tossing a Koran in the toilet isn't news to me. The media is good at reporting the "heart felt sadness" of civilian casualties when they fit into their own motivating guidlines of selfish guilt and desire. Even without considering they cause much of the damage themselves through constant communication to those who act on their words. Media conscience and dignity disapeared in the 80s.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Wasnt some of the rioting in Afganistan caused by the people not wanting America to put permanent bases there?

Really, how many Afgans read Newsweek? Maybe 2?

Most of the American Media is bitch-whipped by the government.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Media's Moto: Shoot first, ask questions later!

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    Wasnt some of the rioting in Afganistan caused by the people not wanting America to put permanent bases there?

Really, how many Afgans read Newsweek? Maybe 2?

Most of the American Media is bitch-whipped by the government.
    In regards to the media...LOL. As to Afgani Newsweek readers, you're probably correct. Unfortunately though, they don't need to read the article or even know what Newsweek is to hear "US flushes Koran". IMO, the media needs to be held MUCH more accountable for the integrity of the information they provide. A quite "oops" doesn't repair the damage they wreak.

I'm so sick of the world critsizing the US on our interrogation and detainment practicies. US custody is a party compared to just about all other places in the world. Ironically, those detainees at Guantanamo probably have neither eaten or been housed as well as they have at their holding in Cuba.

Hey, let's crucify the world leader in civil liberites, human rights, charity, and peace-keeping operations over exceedingly minute allegations made by religous zealous whos mission is to KILL and DESTROY. Sure their word is more reliable than the US's!

Why on earth are people victimizing the criminals?
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic