Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intro to securing Free BSD Part 2

Banned
    what if the big bad budget wolf says no clusters though?
    All things being equal (availability, processor power) a cluster will typically be the cheaper option.

And when would you personally deploy a Unix based OS over a Windows one?
    I can't think of a situation where I'd prefer a UN*X server... by server I mean typical http, ftp, smtp, dns, rdbms, etc. UN*X tends to have a higher cost of ownership, less security, comparable availability.

And what about Mac OS Server?
    Meh, not until the system impresses me a little more.

I get the 5 9s on my LAN and I give it a pretty good sized load
    It's one thing for a small LAN, quite another for a network with tens of thousands of users or a server with tens of millions of user. :-P

cheers,

catch

Originally posted here by catch
    All things being equal (availability, processor power) a cluster will typically be the cheaper option.

I can't think of a situation where I'd prefer a UN*X server... by server I mean typical http, ftp, smtp, dns, rdbms, etc. UN*X tends to have a higher cost of ownership, less security, comparable availability.

Meh, not until the system impresses me a little more.

It's one thing for a small LAN, quite another for a network with tens of thousands of users or a server with tens of millions of user. :-P

cheers,

catch
    Heh, I know there is a difference, but I know of some Govt places running SUSE on mainframes as well. As for Mac OS, I agree, I don't think it should be a server either, way to resource hungry from what I've looked over.

Banned
    A really important thing to keep in mind is that the government until very recently has viewed Linux more as (not exclusively mind you) a research system than anything else.

I personally am still strongly opposed to any monolithic systems in this day and age... but that is what happens why you get systems developed by code monkies and not properly educated system architects.

cheers,

catch

Regal Making Handler
    As for Mac OS, I agree, I don't think it should be a server either, way to resource hungry from what I've looked over.
    Is there a Mac server someware??

That is a genuine question..............I'm not just taking the WeeeWee.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by jinxy
    Is there a Mac server someware??

That is a genuine question..............I'm not just taking the WeeeWee.
    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

Getting to be quite the popular storage solution platform....