Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Firmware update?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Removing Firmware update?

Hey,

Previously, my DVD/ CD rom combo drive has been acting up again. As some of you might remember, my drive was not able to work with DVDs. This never truely went away. So, I searched for an update for my drive and found one. When I finally installed the update and tested it out.....nothing. Nothing changed well at least on the DVD ability. Now CDs don't even work on my drive .

Well my question is, How does one remove the firmware to replace with the old one?

My computer is Windows XP sp2; my DVD/ CD combo drive is a NEC ND-5100A.

Thank you in advance,

kurt

This may sound a little oversimple, but is there a reset button hidden somewhere inside it that could return it to factory settings? Much the same way as a lot of SOHO routers have?

Otherwise, try finding the old firmware from the same site. They might have it. If not, emailing the vendor, I'm quite sure they have a copy of the old firmware lying around somewhere.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Thanks Striek.

Unfortunately, there is not a reset botton on the drive. And with previous contact with NEC I have come to the conclusion that they do not give a rats ass and thus do not reply. I have tried searching for the older version online, but have not found it so far.

Thank you,
    kurt

Presumably, whatever software you used to upgrade it, saved a copy of the old image, so you can simply restore it?

There are few which don't.

Slarty

Hi Kurt,

Did it work before SP2?

Will it work with Win2000?

Thanks Slarty and Kapitän Nihil.

No image, at least that I am aware of, was saved to restore it.

It worked beautifuly before sp2 which makes me want to remove it and curse m$ to hell. lmfao. Yeah, it will work with Win2000

kurt

Did you update Both the Firmware and the Windows Driver? They are not one in the same.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hi Kurt,

What make of computer is it? As far as I can see the ND-5100A is an OEM drive, so you need to go to the manufacturer not NEC.

This kind of thing can happen if the firmware flash went wrong.

1. Try removing the drive in Device Manager and letting Windows rediscover it when you reboot. Use the windows driver.
    2. Try getting another download of the firmware and flashing it again (you might have had a corrupt file)

Did you update Both the Firmware and the Windows Driver? They are not one in the same.
    No, I did not! But then again, I could not find it.

What make of computer is it? As far as I can see the ND-5100A is an OEM drive, so you need to go to the manufacturer not NEC.
    Dell! I already had enough BS from them. They will either hang-up on me or talk about the weather . lol. I already removed the drive but I will try that again; to see!

Thank you,
    kurt

Sometimes Windows is smart enought to notice a driver/firmware mismatch but not often enough. Chances are 99 percent - if there is an update in the firmware windows is going to need to notice that change.

//EDIT post your Dell service tag. One of us will find the driver from that.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.