Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow internet

slow internet

erm...recently i got a problem for the past 1 month

i current using broadband 1500kps from singapore.

i experienced very slow connection but i was unable to solved it but some of times (example once in a week, the speed of the internet will be like normal wat shld be)

i tried doing reformat..but the connection is still very slow. i decide to change my modem..however it din works as well. so i borrowed one of my frenz laptop to try at my home.but the internet is still very slow. but when i bring the same laptop n same modem from my house to my frenz house.. it work perfectly fine..

wat is happening?
    wat causes it?
    any guys can help me solve?

Just Another Geek
    Have you talked to your ISP?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Well, since you say you changed the location of the laptop and it works fine there but not at your place, then the best guess would be your location.

Have you had any bad storms ? It is possible the the physical cables have been zapped and are not working properly. I would call your service provider and have them check the lines. They may need to replace the lines outside of your location, and maybe inside also.

good luck

~Halv

i have tok to my ISP , n they did a line chk for me..
    they say is fine. after which i ask them to come down n check.
    Since i say the internet works fine once in a blue moon...on the day where the worker came to to check..it works perfectly fine..He using a a gadget to test..he say even if there is an error for yesterday it can be detect as well..he did nothing to the lines.But before he go.. he uses sumthing like screwdriver to poke sumthing from my line box..
    Since that day(about 1 n ahalf week ago),the internet works well until sunday(yesterday)..
    it started to slow down..

there is a big rain on saturday..do u think it will affect?

I had a similiar problem with my cable internet. It would work fine until a rain. Usually a day after a rain I would get random disconnects. After a few days it would work fine again.

The problem turned out to be that the line was damaged in the storm. The line had to be replaced. It took a few calls to my provider, but they replaced it.

~Halv

oic

so u mean the whole block of ppl using that line is affected?
    so how do u tell ur ISP?

The whole block may not be damaged. In my case it was the line that came from the pole to my house. If anyone else complained, I did not know. A tree brance rubbed against that line and caused a small tear in the rubber coating that protects the cable. After a rain, the water would seep in and cause problems.

After a few days the water would dry out and everything was fine. When the guy came out initially and ran his tests, it was after a few days and the tests ran find. It was when they came out the day after a rain (and I asked for the same tech so he would know I was not that crazy) they saw the problem. It was at that point they physically looked at the cable from end to end and found the problem.

Snip Snip -- new cable -- happy customer.

hm..
    oic

but for the past 1 week is fine ..n it did rain during the 1 week..however my internet is still fast

but i think i better call my ISP again..
    thx!

Something's going on with the connections in/around Asia:

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/asia.htm

Maybe could help explain -- ISP shouldn've known about it, though...

Past few days may be slow due to damaged submarine cable http://www.starhub.com/online/customersonly/index.html I remember newspaper also mentioned about it. Since you experienced for past 1 month, you should call them to check the line quality.