Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's blocking my port??

Unhappy What's blocking my port??

Hi all. I've been trying to setup software to view newsgroups on my system but whenever I try and connect I get errors regarding port119 (The port used for NNTP). I've tried removing all firewalls and have tried contacting my ISP to see if they have blocked the port but to no avail. I've tried an online port scan and it says that the port is stealthed. Does any know of a program I can use that will tell me what is blocking this port or suggest any alternatives that I can try? Hopefully someone out there can help me!

Are you using a router? if you are then you need to forward that port to your computer. Other than that, you must be using a firewall of somekind that is blocking the port (windows xp firewall by chance?)
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using a router but I disabled the routers firewall which I assumed would be enough to allow access to the port. I also uninstalled McAfee Internet Security and disabled the Windows XP firewall. Still no access through port 119. Am still open to suggestions for my next course of action. It's a Belkin router if that's of any use

like XTC46 said you have to foward the replies to that port to the computer thats waiting to receive them. other wise the router has no idea what to do with them.

look under the advanced setting of your router. look for something that indicates port mapping or fowarding maybe even gaming and applications. all routers are similar but differant.

you have to configure the port number and protocol along with the internal ip address of your computer. then enable it before it will work.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I have forwarded the port in the routers "Virtual Servers" section as shown in the picture attatched. I put the ip of the computer I'm trying to view newsgroups on in the ip box. Unfortunately I still cannot connect to the port.

along with the internal ip address of your computer

Yeah, I put that in the "Private IP Address" box. Just blocked it out in the picture

Just Another Geek
    If you just want to read the newsgroups then you don't have to open up port 119 on your machine. Scanning your system to see if port 119 is open is useless.

If you want to run a newsserver then you would need to open up port 119 inbound. But you don't need to run a server to read the newsgroups.

What is the exact error message you're getting?
    What program are you using to read the newsgroups?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My guess is you didn't specify a proper newserver in the connection settings of whatever program you are using. What server are you trying to connect to?

My news server is news.wanadoo.co.uk. I tried pinging it and that worked no problem