Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's blocking my port??

Just Another Geek
    Ok. But... (I hate sounding like a broken record...)
    What error messages are you getting?
    What program are you using to read the newsgroups?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by Retorb
    My news server is news.wanadoo.co.uk. I tried pinging it and that worked no problem
    I can't exactly test this at work, but maybe someone else can test that address to see if its serving up news.

Just Another Geek
    Doesn't look like it's the "right" one...

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/jargon...ssaryTerm=NNTP

Odd. In this they're using news.wanadoo.co.uk.. Looks like they need to update their howto's...

And I highly recommend NOT using your real email address (unless you like recieving spam) and ditching outlook when you're serious about usenet.

Forte's Agent and XNews are way better for usenet...
    Oliver's Law:

Thanks for all the responses everyone

Right then, I'm trying to use Grabit to access newsgroups but I've also tried using Outlook Express just in case it was a problem with the way i had set up Grabit. When I try to refresh the group list in Grabit I get the error "unable to connect to news.wanadoo.co.uk: 119" In Outlook I get the error "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server" when I clcik on the details button I get the following:

Configuration:
    Account: news.wanadoo.co.uk
    Server: news.wanadoo.co.uk
    Protocol: NNTP
    Port: 119

I've also tried using variations of the newsgroup name. I've tried news.wanadoo.com, news.wanadoo.co.uk, news.freeserve.co.uk and news.freeserve.com. Wanadoo bought out freeserve so I think that's why it still says it on some of their support pages. As far as I can tell, news.wanadoo.co.uk is the correct address. I've been able to ping it so it seems to exist.

Any other suggestions?

Hey Hey,

I'm very sick and read this quickly... but I didn't see it mentioned. Have you checked with your ISP to see if they are filtering the port?

My last ISP filtered port 25 so that you had to use their mail servers (it's supposedly to filter mass mailing worms (or so their tech support claimed)... but in reality it was so all your email had to pass through them... nosey little bastards.

Anyways... my current ISP limits where you can connect for Newsgroups... They used to have it opened up and have their own newsgroups but there was too much piracy.. people could download at faster than their "cap" because they were inside the ISP network... However, now they've gone with a third party and capped the speed on top of that... as well as limitting which news servers you can and can't connect to..

Anyways.. just my 2cents.

Peace,
    HT

Just Another Geek
    You could test it using telnet or netcat..

telnet news.wanadoo.co.uk 119 should result in a banner something like this:
    200 news.wanadoo.co.uk NNRP Service Ready (posting ok)

If you don't get a connection it's probably not running.
    I tried it from my own ISP to news.wanadoo.co.uk but I didn't get a connection.
    But this could also mean Wanadoo has shielded off it's newsserver from people using other providers.

Did you contact their support and explained your problems?

They may have misunderstood your problem and thought you asked them if they blocked port 119 to your machine. But that's totally irrelevant in this case. You seem to have problems connecting to their port 119.

Another thing I had some problems with: did you disable the firewall software or did you actually uninstall it? I had some problems where disabling didn't fully disable the firewall, I had to do a full uninstall and reboot before it would work.
    Oliver's Law: