Thread: Cisco ethernet to serial adapters question

Cisco ethernet to serial adapters question

I recently picked up a Cisco 2500 and Cisco 4000 router. I don't know much about them but I do have some study guides for Cisco and would like to work with them. They both fire work the problem is I don't know what adapters I need to connect these routers to my computer. I know I need a serial to ethernet from the router and then an ethernet to serial for the computer however where can I get these adapters? I'm located in Ontario, Canada. Is there anything else I should consider?

Curious as to why you would need S->E and E->S? Are you trying to manage the cisco on a computer that is in a different location? Sounds like you're in a round about way trying to convert serial ultimately back to serial? If you're not going through some ethernet infrastructure to get to your mangement console, just connect directly.

Never thought of that. I guess your right. The 4000 router has a large console input that requires a printer cord end however to connect to a pc I would need the other end to be standard serial (right)? The 2500 has an ethernet console input so therefore I would need an adapter to switch it to serial for the pc. The serial interfaces on the 2500 have a small serial sized input however there are 60 little spots for prongs. So I imagine I would need an adpater for this one as well.

Just Another Geek
    I think you need this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...ries_home.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...ries_home.html

Sidenote: The RJ-45 connector marked Console is NOT ETHERNET. It's the same type of connector, yes. It needs a special console cable that connects to your serial port. It's pretty straight forward and you could make your own. Look around the Cisco site. It has tons of information..

And please, please start to learn the correct names for the connectors/interface.. A large console connector that requires a printercord end? Ohhhh, you mean a 25pin DB .. serial and parallel connectors on the back of your pc use the same type of connector, the difference is male/female (guess which is what The interface however IS very diffent. The serial one is RS-232 and the parallel is centronics.

So that "large console connector that requires a printercord end" is actually a 25pin RS-232 interface. Meaning you probably need a 25pin to 9pin serial cable. A 'normal' modem cable should do..

After you've configured it through the console you can manage both remotely across the network.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thanks for the info! I got the run around from a few different companies and even a sales rep from Cisco coundn't help me. I was advised to check www.blackbox.xom to see if they have what I'm looking for. My best bet I think is to find a local reseller and bring the routers in to their store. I know I don't know the correct terminolgy for all this stuff so that's why I'm here. To learn.

Just Another Geek
    We all had to start somewhere

Start with the hardware installation guides in the links I provided. It shows all the connectors, their names and their functions and work your way up from there..

The sales rep from Cisco probably tried to sell you new ones The ones you have are end-of-life.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Everyone that I've talked to seems to be pointing me back to www.blackbox.com.
    Tiger Direct had absolutley nothing although they did advertise a RJ45/DB9M on their website. So I went and sure enough after several boxes being dumped and serached over not one could be found.

Hey Hey,

StarTech.com is one of the leaders in networking equipment around here... at least when you stay away form like Cisco/Nortel routers.. mostly SOHO type stuff... and a few bigger enterprise items... We deal with the quite frequently and most stores in the area stock all their network equipment... I'm located in London, Ontario and so is StarTech's head office... depending on where you are this might work out to your advantage.. You can also order online, or depending on what goes down, I may be able to pick any orders up and mail them to you... I've also got a dealers license with them if you find anything that will work and are curious about dealer cost..

The page that has some of their cisco connectors is http://www.startech.com/ststore/item...&ParentCatId=N

You may want to contact them if they don't specifically have what you're looking for.

Peace,
    HT

I'll check it out and let you know. Thank you.