Thread: Network configuration

Network configuration

I have to setup a small network with around 8 clients and 1 server. The server will be used heavily to download different client images to the clients for testing. If I put a 1000 mb nic card on the server and all the clients with 100 mb card, will that improve the download time in the network..?
    Thanks in advance..

Will it improve download time as compared to what?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

AOs Resident Troll
    the client will be limited to their NIC speed...not sure if it would improve the servers pipe

also depends on your cabling......

their are (were) 2 standards for twisted pair in NA...and I believe they would have to have the same twists throughout to optimize the speed...although I am not that up on cabling as I was 7 years ago

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Ok.... let me explain it. Say if I want to download 5 images simultaniously, the download time will be high. What I am trying to find is, if I have a 1000 Mb nic on the server will that improve the d/l speed.

Thanks

If you mean a 1000mb card on the server as opposed to a 100mb card, then in most cases it will. If all the clients are downloading the same image, you can multicast that image to alleviate the load on the server -- the server only sends one image across the network, which is recieved by ever client. But if each image is unicasted to each workstation, then the gigabit card will make quite a difference.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Just Another Geek
    One thing I can think of though in your setup is your switch. The switch might turn out to be your bottle neck..

The other option is as Striek noted, to multicast the image to multiple clients. I know Ghost used to have this option..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

If the Server is connected to a 1000/100 switch or router and the clients with their 100 Mbs cards to that .. yes it will improve
    If the server is connected to a 10/100 switch or router or a 10/100hub.. then the transfer speed will be limited to the common negotiated sync rate..namely 100Mbs..
    but the switch/router wouldn't be any cheap ****
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr