Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ransome-Ware" hits detroit

"Ransome-Ware" hits detroit

I just saw on the news (sorry couldn't get an artivle yet)

A man's computer files were taken hostage by a hacker would locked him out of his files for a ransom of $200. Security Experts broke the encryption and returned access to the man. These experts are now working on developing "Anti-Ransom-Ware" software so that copy cat crimes do not happen.

Crazyness.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Hubbard said that the attack exploits a vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer to install the Trojan horse
    and I was wondering ..waht another one.. then..
    The infected computer was running an outdated version of Internet Explorer when it was used to visit a Web site set up to deliver the malicious code
    update..update..update.. inspite of the problems ppl have had with updates..backup then...update..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

update..update..update.. inspite of the problems ppl have had with updates..backup then...update..
    Better install FREEBSD !!!!

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    and I was wondering ..waht another one.. then..

Yep. Of course, Secunia.com lists two "highly critical" vulnerabilities in IE that have gone unpatched for a long time (one over two years)...

http://secunia.com/product/11/#advisories

Banned
    i agree with undertaker. and i have the same problem myself, backups. my roomate uninstalled some important things i worked on since september last year and they are all gone because of a couple point and clicks.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by white_pawn
    Better install FREEBSD !!!!
    Typical anti-Windows response. 90% of Window's security problems is clueless uers who don't know to update or to not open every attachment that comes their way. The other 10% is Microsoft. By this I mean: bad code that is vulnerable to exploitation, or by trying to make the Windows experience so easy that it encourages bad security practices. (i.e. not requiring a password to be set up on the Administrative account in XP Home.)

It's not Windows I dislike. It's Microsoft, their business practices and how they lie about their operating system being the best on the planet.

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

i bet Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir, and Leonard Adleman never saw that one coming. the bad guys encrypting the good guys data and demanding money for the decrypt key. i thought it was pretty funny.

[blur]
    i also found it a little rattling at how fast the "secuirty experts" managed to "break" the encryption and give the guy his files back.
    [/blur]

were the black hats complete idiots and had no clue how to use encryption efficiently or are the rumors true - the encryption vendors give backdoor keys to law enforcement for all thier products they release.

Banned
    Hmm, I wonder what the security experts would do if an ******* used like a 4096 bit PGP encryption? Aren't the only people able to crack that type of encryption the mad scientists at the NSA?

Hmm, I wonder what the security experts would do if an a$$hole used like a 4096 bit PGP encryption?
    Are you sure? I have 4048 bit, albeit rather old............can't even remember the project

4096 just hits me as an odd number for encryption?

EDIT: Karmine

my roomate uninstalled some important things i worked on since september last year and they are all gone because of a couple point and clicks.
    A couple of point and clicks are pretty effective if it is a Desert Eagle in your hand............880 liquid ammonia is quite good with the DNA crap as well

Not that I would know anything about that sort of stuff............