Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Windows / Unix server question

Hmmm,

I won't get too involved, but I would like to make a few comments............

What if it's a company who uses legacy things on 486 machines? Windows won't run on that anymore.
    Errrrrr, yes it will.............not XP or Win2K but we are talking legacy APPLICATIONS, which are probably DOS/ASM anyways?.........they won't run...........nothing to do with the hardware (apart from ASM to some degree) This is all to do with the "computing experience" B/S........like they try to stop you loading stuff onto what they think is a "slow machine"?

And you can run the APPS on P4s with a suitable OS (Win98SE/ME and to some extent NT4.0...........remember there are 4 .bas apps in the Sys32 folder of NT4.0?..........now those are "quickbasic" and that shipped with DOS 5.0)

Now, those "486 legacy apps" won't run in a *nix environment............things were a lot different then, and *nix apps tended to run on RISC chips that peed all over intel stuff (and Cyrix.........don't think AMD were playing back then?) they were written for the kit.

So my point is I don't think that *nix gives better legacy support?

Well to some extent you're right on the head with that one. Linux and BSD do have some great support that's being used now and being worked on each day like DOSBOX, and Dosemu and even WINE.

Of course they aren't complete and won't run every app, but they have a lot of potential and most apps are doing great more and more each day.

Hi Gore,

I think that we are at the same place but I am taking hardware history and you are taking software history?

Of course they aren't complete and won't run every app, but they have a lot of potential and most apps are doing great more and more each day.
    I put that down to people such as ourselves taking an historical interest? Let's face it, there is no real need for a *nix OS to support DOS?............but it is rather cool?

OK guys say to me "johnno, that OS isn't supported anymore"............and I just smile at them and say "oh yes it is" Hell, if you can support Billy Windows you shouldn't have a problem with DOS?

And 10 ubuntu CD packs came today....................

DosBox is cool, it's faults lie in legacy driver support. People write em when they get bored. It runs on Winders too. I have to retract and earlier statement. I pay as much attention as the linux guys who listen to one another. Win2k Server will deploy desktops right from the intall if you load the Remote Installation Service. No extra server required. Of couse in either case, linux or winders. The remote box must support and have enabled remote booting.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.