anti-anti-virus virus???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anti-anti-virus virus???

anti-anti-virus virus???

I am currently deploying Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate edition 10, but for some reason when i push the install to one of the clients (only one of them, the others worked fine) it will install, but after a few minutes it uninstalls, i can't figure out why.... i've tried scanning with several anti-virus programs (stinger, and norton (after that scan finished it uninstalled again...)) and all the scans came up clean. i tried scanning the disk for errors, and looked for processes that shouldn't be there etc.... but i can't find anything wrong.
    the system is running Win2k

could this be a virus? if so how would i find and eliminate it?

AOs Resident Troll
    Alittle off subject...but relevant.

Recently I had an issue with MS Office...I run 3 versions 97 for Access , 200 Retail and 2003 outlook (comes with the server).

Realized I needed a tool for Access after installing all versions...stuck in the 97 disk installed the tools and the damn thing F&*ked my newer offices versions...started with unable to send email from open docs..then progressivly became worse...and worse..and worse

I tried to fix, repair reinstall...wasted a whole day, followed MS articles, used tools..and still could not get it to work...hacked the registry...

Then..after wasting far to many hours trying to fix it...the next morning....I formatted and reinstalled the machine from scratch....had a running stable machine by noon.

Sometimes...you just have to start fresh...

Being in a server enviroment...all data should reside on the server....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

yea, thats what i'd like to do, but the pc is in regina, and i'm in manitoba....... its a pretty big hassle to do a clean install when you have to have it mailed to you then mail it back, and the whole time you have it the user is breathing down your neck asking when you'll be done.....

AOs Resident Troll
    From what I understood about previous versions of Symantec AV CE....

you cannot update remote machines??

Have you used the removal tool posted in your previous thread??

MLF

well, since i only started here awhile ago i'm not exactly sure how the whole network setup works, but the updates do work over the network, and yes i did try that removal tool, but i wasn't really expecting it to work since v 10 isn't in the list of versions it removes... and i haven't been able to find a manual uninstall guide for v 10

i only had a minute to look over the thread but some viruses do prevent AV from installing, do a scan i safe mode... try to install another AV and see if it works (AVG ?).
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

AOs Resident Troll
    Yes I understand updates work over the network...you update the server and then use that to update the clients....but when I contacted tech support...and asked about updating my remote vpn clients..they said that wasnt supported (v8.0)

Maybe you will just have to call symantec??

I have worked with them before and they were very knowledgable\helpful?

They also have a monitored newsgroup.

MLF

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    AVG [free] will not install onto a server, and as you already pay for Symantec ?????

You do ALL repairs / upgrades remotely ?

No IT type local to do the basics ?
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yes symantec is paid for... and i'm not trying to install avg on a server, just on the problem pc.
    i suppose there are people there that could do some very basic stuff, but most everything is done remotely from Head Office

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Don't you have / couldn't you get a 'spare' PC, and send that out to them ?
    They return the suspect item, for you to sort at your 'leisure' ?

My bad re: the AVG, I assumed YOU would install it via your system.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone