Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anti-anti-virus virus???

only spare we have that i know of is an xp machine thats nicer than what they have now, probably wouldn't get it back

AOs Resident Troll
    http://search.symantec.com/custom/us...256fc700654267

Symantec has pages on troubleshooting the "Cannot install" issues.

So I guess it depends on the error you are receiving.

Good idea Foxy.....

No down time.

MLF

xp..built in remote desktop....may make it easier to manage with the remote being xp.

Also....does the remote machine have any previous AV on it, or firewall...antispyware??

What do you use to administer it now???

How does it connect to you...just read something about port 139 needing to be open for updates???

MLF

How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

thanks MLF, but that was one of the first places i looked, and its not so much that i can't install it, it just dosen't stay installed... does that make any sense??

i use VNC, and the machine had the previous version of Symantec (version 9.0.3)

AOs Resident Troll
    the program...just uninstalls it self???

Or is hidden from the task bar??

I hide norton...the engineers always complain..."It slows down my machine, I dont need av, blah blah blah"...so I hide it....

How do you admin the machine?????

MLF

yea, i'm pretty sure it uninstalls itself, it is configured to be hidden on the taskbar, but i installed it, and while i was looking at the files (c:\program files\symantec (or something like that)) all the files dissappeared, and then i couldn't find it in the start menu either...

i'm not sure i understand what you mean by how do I admin the machine?

AOs Resident Troll
    How do you connect to the machine if it is remote??

Ultra@VNC Viewer
    is that what you mean? if not, i apoligize for my ignorance, i am rather new to the field, and there is much i don't know yet, so i'm not always sure what people are talking about....

anyway i just finished running AVG on that PC logged in as administrator, and it still came up clean.

AOs Resident Troll
    yes

so you have admin rights on the machine??

Any other AV on the machine..ever??

You sure the machine is clean.???

I have never seen anything like that.....short of the install failing..and rolling back

Is the remote machine updated...I had one machine that needed an update of the MS Installer to put norton on it???

I think you are infected with something....MHO..of course.

MLF

yup, i have admin rights, as far as i know there has not been any other AV on there (of course i only just started here awhile back for my work practicum so i don't know the pcs history, tho i'm certain they've always been using symantec. ) i've run several different scans and they've all come up clean.... of course i guess a virus could be hiding somewhere, thats kinda what i suspect cause i've never seen anything do this before.

its not updated (43 critical/service packs) but neither where any of the others, and they all worked fine, but i am looking thru the available ones to see if any look relevant. (or will if i can get that stupid page to load....)

This is very odd.............I have come across viruses that kill running AV processes and block websites, but not one that uninstalls the whole application

All I can suggest is trying to catch the process that is doing it?

You might also look in the event logs to see if there are any clues there?