windows update wont work ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: windows update wont work ?

windows update wont work ?

ok my problem is i wasnt around my pc for good month or so ... went to trip so i got back my bro was using it and now i go to update my win xp box an it wont work it gives me errors i tryd to fix ... with thoes solutions they give on their page and notin so ok this is what i get when i go to update page

Get the latest updates available for your computer's operating system, software, and hardware. Windows Update scans your computer to see what updates are required and provides you with a list of updates tailored just for you.

Express Install (Recommended): High Priority Updates for Your Computer

Choose this for the fastest updating. Quickly scan for, download, and install only the critical and security updates your computer needs.

Custom Install: High Priority and Optional Updates for Your Computer

Choose this to scan for optional, critical, and security updates your computer needs, choose from all the updates on the site, and review updates before downloading.

and then i get this

[Error number: 0x80072EFD]
    Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
    For self-help options:

Windows Update Response Center

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Windows Update Newsgroups
    For assisted support options:

anyone had that problem ? and had some succes in fixing it ... if so plz post
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;896225

CAUSE
    This issue occurs because Windows XP accesses the Windows Update Web site by using Microsoft Windows HTTP Services (WinHTTP). WinHTTP runs in the context of the local system. System services must have a proxy server manually defined or be able to detect proxy servers on the network
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, manually configure the proxy server or configure Web Proxy Auto Detect (WPAD) so that WinHTTP can locate the proxy server on the network. To do this, use one of the following methods.
    How to configure one client computer
    To configure one client computer, use one of the following methods.
    You know the name of the proxy server that you are using
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. At the command prompt, type proxycfg -p proxyservername: port, and then press ENTER.
    3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.

You do not know the name of the proxy server that you are using
    If you do not know the name of the proxy server that you are using, import the settings for the current user from the Internet Explorer proxy settings. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    2. At the command prompt, type proxycfg -u, and then press ENTER.
    3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    A piece of advice ,next time you before asking any question please try to google on the topic and then post

LOL

as i said i tryd all their solutions notin worked ... thats why i asked i aint complete idiot i went true google an microsofts help notin
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

Hmmm,

Have you tried both the Express and Custom scans with the same result?

Are you having problems with other internet connections.............e-mail for example and secure sites?

Try this: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Read the instructions carefully.

It would help if you told us what you actually have tried also what browser, AV and firewall you are using, and the Service Pack of your operating system.

Roll back to the last good config. That should do the trick!

Make sure the "automatic update" and "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" services are started.

Also, goto this page and check out the step 1-14 approach that is listed. Lot of good info there. Thats the third page I came to when googling your error code.

If that doesn't work, goto c:\windows\windows update.log and see what error is listed in there.

AOs Resident Troll
    I had the same problem last week...

I couldnt wait for a response from thier support so I downloaded each update manual and installed from there...

Option on the left for Administrator options.

Still working with MS Support on the reason why.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    st1mpy: Are you sure your free of ad- or spyware? This might interfere with Windows Update.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do you have a firewall running? I've found that the update won't work with Sygate running.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AOs Resident Troll
    Ms M

Mine is a clean install of XP SP1 included.

Disabled everything I could think of... I do go through IIS with the FW client installed. tried with and without the client

Have sent them the log...waiting for a reply

I have fiddled with XP home...Kinda new to XP
    this is the first XP pro on the network all others are NT\2K. Testing application compatibility with XP for future upgrades.

Had me stumped....clean install

MLF

Going to follow white pawns advice...although I didnot have this problem the first time around with this machine same setup (second install of XP....multiple office version issues )

How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer