Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two services running on the same port?

Two services running on the same port?

Hi

A home user trying to access home server using ssh while wanting the webserver to be turned on at port 33. Is it possible to have two services running on port 33 that are on the same box also. Probably router can forward the port packets from port 22 to someother ports?

- Port 33
    - Webserver & SSH

Seeking viable solutions since my academic institution insist on not unblocking common ports making it so difficult for us to retrieve data from home.

No. Once the webserver has bound itself to a specific port, no other services will be permitted to bind to that port. Even if they were, both services would wind up recieveng data meant for the other, as the only way a router will tell the streams apart is by the port they are using.

But really, this isn't the place to be asking how to violate you school's network policy. Those rules exist for a reason, reasons for which you may be unaware. You have to live with them if you wish to use your school's network.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    making it so difficult for us to retrieve data from home.
    Maybe this is a memory training exercise. Remember to take what you need with you when you go to school in the morning........ It'll improve your learning ability..... I like it, it's a good idea.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Custom User
    Why don't you use a port number above the range of common ports? Or are they blocked as well?

ac

I don't quite understand the question.............

Seeking viable solutions since my academic institution insist on not unblocking common ports making it so difficult for us to retrieve data from home.
    Why would you want to retrieve data from home?...........my experience both in academic and business environments has been that you want to access data at work/college whilst you are at home, not the other way round? Anything that I did at home that I needed to bring in, I would just burn to a CD or DVD.

Also, why are these data on a webserver rather than a file server?

Have you considered uploading from home then accessing locally?

Do you have any internet access at all from school?

Hi

I have some journals/articles which i require at present and they're stored at home. I seldom use my laptop, so i need to retrieve them whenever im in school. Yes i have internet in school.

There're no other way?

Short answer:

No. It is not possible to have two services attached to the same port.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Maybe this is a memory training exercise. Remember to take what you need with you when you go to school in the morning........ It'll improve your learning ability..... I like it, it's a good idea.....
    I'm going to have to go with TS on this one.

I'm a fulltime student. I carry a backup of all of my work on my jumpdrive. Depending on size if I need something for a class I will also email it to myself. If you need something with more size than either of those may I suggest one of those powered usb drives that can hold something like 80gb. (my technique has kept me at a 4.0 gpa for 3 years, well that and actually doing all of my homework, but we can't help you with that.)

To answer your question though, no, you will not be able to use one port with two services, as stated by Striek.

Your ability to use the higher ports will depend on if your school district has taken an optimistic or pessimistic view of security. The optimistic view means their outbound firewall does not have an explicit deny at the end of its access-lists. The pessimistic view means they do. If they have an optimistic view you will have the ability to use some of the higher port numbers like Gothic_type pointed out. then you should configure some port triggering on your router to translate the port number to one that you use on your system.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

Although, I agree it is not possible to run two services over the same port, ssh, provides tunneling which basically means, you can access other ports on internal machines to your network with the correct setup of your gateway machine and the nat'd computers behind it. http://www.ccs.neu.edu/howto/howto-sshtunnel.html provides an example.
    Although not exactly what your looking for it, does provide a solution. Good Luck.

Banned
    Is it possible to have two services running on port 33 that are on the same box also.
    No, however it is possible to functionally have two services using the same port. You'll actually want a small service that sends requests to the port to one of serveral other services, give a gander over the all.net Deception Toolkit (DTK) for ideas on how to do this with little more than a simple perl script.

cheers,

catch