Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weird problem... need help soon

Banned
    Windows XP firewall was disabled and there wasn't any other related software installed on the computer. Both, the netgear router and westell DSL modem were set to give DHCP. Do you guys have any other explanation.

The router AND the modem?

Perhaps the two of them are giving out addresses on different subnets. If this is the case, the modem may assign an address of 192.168.1.100, but the router may be operating on an address of 192.168.0.1. The XP host and the router are now on different subnets and cannot communicate with each other. Try turning the DHCP server off on the hardware that the XP host is not connected to so conflicts like this will be avoided. I have encountered this problem before.

In a home LAN setup, only the hardware directly attached to the computer should be set to give out DHCP addresses, in most cases. The only exception would be a switch between the computer and the router.

Check also that the modem is not set tou act as a router as well. If it is capable of DHCP assignment, I am thinking that it can route traffic as well. See if there is some way you can set the modem into a bridge mode so it will not do this. My DSL modem can act as a router as well as modem, so yours might have the same capability.

Either that, or, assuming that the modem is also a router, use the modem only and not the router as well.

But I think your problem lies in the fact that you have two conflicting DHCP servers on your network. Look into that first, and then the other ideas I have suggested.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    Striek... and others

I wouldn't come here to ask about a obvious fact as you've just stated. The problem is somewhere else.

Computer was directly connected to the modem which I know is set to give out DHCP. It is the standard that Verizon gives out to in NYC therefore I've worked w/ this modem many times. The router was attached to the system ONLY TO TEST IF THE PROBLEM ISN'T IN THE MODEM. THE DEVICES WERE NEVER CONNECTED AT THE SAME TIME. There's no subnet conflict. The solution was to set the system to static IP.

to work w/
    westell modem

IP 192.168.1.50
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    GWay 192.168.1.1

netgear:

IP 192.168.0.2
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    GWay 192.168.0.1

So again ... WTF??? Why won't the DHCP work. I did, reset TCP-IP.

I would bet it has to do w/ f***ing WindowsXP

Banned
    Okay, let's start from the beginning and be very clear on what happens. Disconnect the computer from the modem and throw the router aside. Pop up the network connections screen and set the computer to receive an IP by DHCP (see attached image). Make sure you are doing this to the right ethernet device if you have more than one as I do. Shut down the computer completely now.

Next, shutdown the modem completely. Yes, I mean pull the plug out of the wall. Wait 30 seconds and replug it back in. Now wait until the modem has fully connected and is functional (my modem has lights indicating that it is fully ready; it depends on your modem). Now plug the ethernet cable into the router and computer and start the computer up.

Once started, give the computer a few seconds to obtain an IP. Start a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and copy/paste the results here.

This sounds simple and I'm sure you've done it from the beginning, but I'm curious as what ipconfig will show when the modem is reset.

Banned
    mira ... the system won't work w/ any type of DHCP

doesn't matter what order you turn things on or off. doesn't matter if you reset modem or router or bring a cisco 2000 series from NSA

it won't WORK w/ dynamic IP

Banned
    Well then there must be a reason it does not work. Resetting the modem is a good way to start. I realize I forgot to post the image in the other post so here it is. Why not just copy/past the results of an ipconfig /all?

unhappy

Please humour an old fart and test the modem in a different box, and a different modem in that box.............it might be a hardware issue?

Hey, an automobile works fine until it stops?..........and it was working just fine 30 seconds ago............ but that was when he installed SP2?

I think that there might be an SP2 problem here?

Banned
    The modem and the router are both fine. i've tested them and used them on many machines before and the router is set up right now. i changed different cables and i changed different NIC's.

I'm thinking it is a XP problem ...

Banned
    So if you connect a different machine right now, it would give it an IP automatically and it would work?

Hi unhappy,

Don't know if these will help or not...maybe they might at least lead you in the right direction...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...icbroblems.htm
    Windows XP Network Troubleshooting

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...f_omn_bgej.asp
    Troubleshooting Microsoft Networking

http://support.shaw.ca/troubleshooting/dhcpxp.htm
    Troubleshooting - DHCP for Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...2cdcdc7ad.mspx
    Troubleshooting DHCP clients

sorry...best I can do!

Eg