Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Hacking is not bad eh????

Lightbulb So Hacking is not bad eh????

Doodz

This thing has been bothering me fr quite sum time now-
    If put this way dat hacking is not bad but actually productive dat it helps cure loopholes in software i.e. u try and hack into sumbody's territory and mean to cause no harm....u r actually trying to hack and then tell the one hacked dat there is sumthing wrong with his software....but u r caught while hacking then obviously ppl r gonna consider u a criminal then u actually get screwed wen u were trying to help....

You will be considered a criminal if no prior consent is approved or issued by the software company or the owner ... this is called penetration testin not Hacking ....

It is just like a robber who tries to open a door and got caught .... and he says ... "I was not stealing, I was just checking if the door is locked well" .... so if you caught someone trying to access your computer would you believe him if he told that he is testing how immune your system is?

intentions are never enough
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

That's rite dude but then hacking is a big gamble isnt it? Thanks to media blitzcreig how many ppl really hacking fr the gud feel safe today?

hacking is dangerous frm the point of view of companies 2. even if a company hires a professional hacker wat assurances does it have dat he will not break into the company's comp sum day and sell secrets to another rival company?

panther_black old chap,

What you have to consider is "consent"?.............now, there are members here who conduct security audits and penetration tests, and get paid very well for their skills..............it is an acceptable sector of the IT security industry.

My point would be that they have a letter of appointment, terms of reference, a "contract"........whatever you like to call it........ it means that what they are doing is at the request of, and with the permission of their client.

On the other hand, if you just blunder into someone's environment uninvited, expect to be treated as any other burglar? You cannot prove innocence if you do not have permission?

You also run the risk of being blamed for every **** up that the admins have made?

My advice: don't..............most people don't like being told they are "Richard Cranium Esquires"

k u answer most of my mind boggling qstns....

i have another one though-
    wat sort of tracks r left behind by a hacker...tell me both wich can be erased and wich cannot be?

Hey!

panther_black old chap, cut us some slack here?...........it would depend on the system being hacked, what logging and security tools were in operation, and all that?

Take a look at our "firewalls and honeypots" section............

Like this machine is running WinME..............there would be nothing...............other systems would have people in black masks adjusting the pitch of your voice with rubber truncheons (I do love my job ) within 30 seconds...........

Sorry, that is a very much "depends" scenario

It is just like a robber who tries to open a door and got caught .... and he says ... "I was not stealing, I was just checking if the door is locked well" .... so if you caught someone trying to access your computer would you believe him if he told that he is testing how immune your system is?
    I agree with both black cluster and Nihil if you intentionally hack someone's system without their expressed written consent you are in all kinds of worlds of hurt.

But to answer your general question there are two basic ways I can find what you're doing on my systems:

1. is to check all the log files on my IDS... A network IDS is an intrusion detection system that checks patterns in network traffic origins, packet destinations/port numbers, and packets themselves for patterns of attack.

2. for each specific machine there should be some type of log file that tells you who did what, logged on from where, or what went wrong in general.

If you are a serious cracker (negative connotation) you would make sure you deleted the log file from the host machine that you gain access to, but well... good luck taking out a hardware based IDS that passivly monitors a network segment... best bet is to keep your auditing practice within your lan and the network testing of our own systems to us professionals.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

wat sort of tracks r left behind by a hacker...tell me both wich can be erased and wich cannot be?
    Granted there are some folks/networks out there that are not security conscious, however for the most part; think of a child playing outside in mud puddles, then entering a clean house and walking on white carpet. Do you think someone could see and follow the tracks? How much noise did he make when he opened the door, etc., etc., etc.

Don’t expect to be able to easily find and delete the logs.

So what will happen to you when you are detected? Might do nothing, set back and watch you, provide Bubba with a new toy, or as Nihil put so well:
    …people in black masks adjusting the pitch of your voice...
    Obviously that varies; however the one truth that is absolute is that you do not have control of the consequences.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: So Hacking is not bad eh????

Originally posted here by panther_black
    Doodz i.e. u try and hack into sumbody's territory and mean to cause no harm....u r actually trying to hack and then tell the one hacked dat there is sumthing wrong with his software....but u r caught while hacking then obviously ppl r gonna consider u a criminal then u actually get screwed wen u were trying to help....
    Analogy: - Hack into my territory, i.e my house, you are a criminal, I feel quite entitled to break your legs, at least, minimum, unless the dogs get you first(my firewall), apparently, we cannot actually kill you here in the UK (against the law).
    All this talk about hacking , cracking etc, has to be viewed in a historical sense. I have books where hackers are deemed to be hero's in terms of Unix etc, the books are in fact 30 yrs old. Todays kids have to define what they mean by hacking, I'm sure it is a totally different concept from mine. All these words are banndied about, with no idea of what they mean. different things to different people , age groups, practical computer experience,educational computer qualifications etc. If hacking to you means " Breaking into" for whatever reason , then you are a criminal.

Accessing information that is normally restricted, by invitation, request, customer problems, would not be seen by me as "breaking into" or considered hacking, only professional expertise and problem solving. Today's kids have a lot to learn about computers.

Name: Kanwalpreet

A wannabe hacker

A 15 yr old wannabe hacker . Why the f*** do I waste my time? At my age RSI is a problem

Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Custom User
    Breaking into another person's system is only a gamble if you are not totally sure that you can get away with it undetected. If you are not, then you should not even consider it. From a moral standpoint, I'd say that you shouldn't consider it in any case.

Basically, if you had the skills necessary to break into someone's system and get away with it (for whatever reasons), you would not have to ask the question in the first place.

As far as the meaning of hacker goes, in my opinion it is someone who is at the top of their field, whatever that field may be, and who knows what they do so thoroughly that they can almost do anything. Not that this last part had any relevance to your question.

ac