What is this error in XP: IRQL_DRIVER_NOTLESS_THAN_EQUAL_TO.

Thread: What is this error in XP: IRQL_DRIVER_NOTLESS_THAN_EQUAL_TO.

What is this error in XP: IRQL_DRIVER_NOTLESS_THAN_EQUAL_TO.

I noticed this error bcoz of my silly sound card. What does this error technically means? Is there any way by which we can take the power of controlling hardware's resources from XP's hands to in our own hands. In otherwords, can we disable Direct Sound so that sound card is played by software buffer and not hardware buffer?

Old Fart
    I can't tell you what it means 'cause you haven't told me JACKS**T about your system. Do you have onboard sound AND a sound card? If so then the answer probably lies in disabling the onboard sound in CMOS....but until you ask a more complete question that provides us with background information concerning your system and the exact nature of the problem that's the best I can do.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

IRQL_DRIVER_NOTLESS_THAN_EQUAL_TO
    or
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    which one are you getting.. the second is an XP error.. the first isnt..

now if it is the later..then..
    what the error means
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_stp_ottj.asp

Stop message 0x0000000A on an existing installation Descriptive text: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Usual cause: Drivers are using improper memory addresses.

Solution:

Use the Online Crash Analysis tool at the Microsoft Web site. You can use this tool to send error reports to Microsoft and track their status by using your Microsoft Passport information. You can access the Online Crash Analysis Web site by using the Error Reporting service or by using your Web browser. When it is enabled, the Error Reporting service monitors your system for kernel and user mode faults that are related to operating system components and applications. With kernel-mode reporting, you can obtain more information about the problem or condition that caused the Stop error. For more information, see System and program error reporting overview.

If you can start the operating system, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional information that might help determine the device or driver that is causing the problem. To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.

Confirm that your hardware is designed for the Windows Server 2003 family by clicking the appropriate link in Support resources.

Disable any newly installed drivers and remove any newly added programs.

If the computer will not start normally, try starting it in Last Known Good Configuration or in Safe Mode, and then remove or disable newly added programs or drivers. For information about how to start your computer in Safe Mode, see Start the computer in Safe Mode. For more information about how to start your computer in Last Known Good Configuration, see Start the computer using the last known good configuration.

Important

When you use Last Known Good Configuration, system setting changes made after the last successful startup are lost.

Remove any newly installed hardware (RAM, adapters, hard disks, modems, and so on).

Ensure that you have updated drivers for your hardware devices. Also, ensure that you have the latest system BIOS (for x86-based and x64-based computers) or the correct firmware (for Itanium architecture-based computers). The device manufacturers can assist you in obtaining these items.

Run system diagnostics supplied by your hardware vendor, especially a memory check.

Disable memory caching in the BIOS (for x86-based and x64-based computers) or EFI (for Itanium architecture-based computers). Contact your hardware manufacturer if you need assistance in performing this step.

Note

You can search the Microsoft Web site for updated information on this Stop message. To do this, see Welcome to Microsoft Help and Support at the Microsoft Web site, click a search option, and then follow the instructions on the page. When typing keywords, use stop 0x0000000A.

For more information about articles, troubleshooting wizards, and items you can download, see Updated technical information.
    from this page: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...01292ec6d.mspx

as Allenb1963 said .. not enough information..
    you could also have a conflict with Norton antivirus and the crad drivers.. useing Old drivers like win95 or dos ... goodness knows..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well the details of my system.

I have a TOMATO Motherboard with Intel 810 Chipset and AC'97 Sound Card. I buyed a new ESS 1983 Sound Card to 3D liaze my sound system. First, I have disabled AC'97 in my BIOS. Then I installed the sound card. When in the same Windows Session, Windows seldom hangs or freezes. When im the following sessions i play a sound, the system freezes displaying that IRQL_..... error I have tries every sort of driver, the OEM, Microsoft provided driver, Windows 2000 Driver and God knows what not. But the problem continues. How can the driver address an invalid memory address. Yes, one thing can happen and that is that the sound card driver must be thinking that I am using an onboard ESS 1983 sound card. and this must be causing the conflict. But, The card runs fine in Windows 98 but not when I play 3D Games such as Max Payne or Sound Card Buster softwares like PowerDVD which has excellent Audio Packs. And yes, if the sound card is faulty then it shiuld not run at all. I have evern checked for a replacement from the manufacturer, but for no help. How can the driver address an invalid memory location? must be possible that the sound card driver the sound card as an onboard sound card? Please help. This is the toughest PC problem I have gone though in my computing carrer (well only 7 years long, i am myself 18 yr old :-) )

AOs Resident Troll
    I have installed those cards into 3 2000 boxes and have no issues...but then again I have the via chipset update for the boards...and the latest w2000 drivers for the card. The machines arent gaming though....

As stated in other posts...
    You have a hardware conflict....you have an issue between your sound card and MB

Try a new driver, different slot.....or just try a different card all together.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

If you have an anti virus..
    Turn it off.. then check your problems

TOMATO Motherboard
    First problem.. your problem could be a issue in the Mobo/sound card/WinXP all drivers..
    I cringe at the thought of the challenge you have....Tomato..AKA..Zida..yetch

if the sound card is faulty then it shiuld not run at all.
    Bad presumption..
    But in your case could be a correct presumption.. ..
    you have disabled AC97.. is that all there is associated with the onboard sound..
    With the 810 mobo there were a ton of problems.. have you checked for Xp driver updates?..BIOS updates.. ???
    You may also considfer looking at the device resources.. some other device is probably shareing resources irq/memory etc..
    How can the driver address an invalid memory location
    Very easily.. when it is fighting another poorly written driver or poorly constructed piece of equipment.. The memory location is being accesed by two different drivers/or hardware.. the possability is the onboard sound is not fully disabled..

. But, The card runs fine in Windows 98 but not when I play 3D Games such as Max Payne
    .. what is it doing? and are we talking same mobo?

Sound Card Buster softwares like PowerDVD which has excellent Audio Packs
    What the hell is Sound Buster??? do you mean Sound Blaster?
    sounds like it wasnt realy running in Win98.. just only some basic emulation.. but the full function of the card was giving you problems..!!!!!

Have you tried the card in another mobo?.. or another sound cardin the machine.. some cards just hate some mobo's and in your case you have reject hardware centeral in the box...
    (your not down and out.. but very careful tweaking will be required.. try the sound card in different slots, diff resource settings.. ,,

an axe may help..

yetch zida.. yetch tomato.. gag
    (sorry.. I love zida like a linux guru loves misrocoft)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Ah Yes! I have tries the sound card on a different system.
    System: Energy BIOS
    P-IV 1.6 GHz
    256 MB RAM
    Win XP
    again, that stupid AC'97 Sound Card.
    Same Problem :-(
    In case the AC'97 is not fully disabled, it means it uses a Intell 82802 PCI Bridge which still enables the integrated card anyway. IS there a way out to make the system its onboard sound card forget?