Italian ADSL

Thread: Italian ADSL

Italian ADSL

Hi,
    I have just been asked a question that I am unsure of and thought I would clarify it here first.

Would an English Router with a Built-in ADSL modem work with an Italin ADSL phone line obviously in Italy?

I was about to say yes but then realized I wasnt 100% sure of the answer and didnt want to give a wrong answer to the guy.

Could anyone help me here?

Thanks!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

I would think so yes. ADSL is a protocol specification, standardized across the globe. It is not a sort of electrical or signal specification. I know that my DSL modem is also used in Europe in a few places.

However, the telephone voltages, busy signals, message waiting, and busy trunk signals may be different in Italy. The Italians do everything their own way. While busy signals and such would only confuse the modem, too large an increase in voltage may damage it.

But your best bet would be to call the manufacturer to make sure. I would imagine they should know.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Thanks mate just wanted to get a second opinion!

Cheers!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

It is not a sort of electrical or signal specification.
    Hi Striek, that is exactly what the standard defines. If one were to place this in the OSI model it would be Layer 1. Chances are it will work because the European standards body adapted the American standard when ADSL was deployed. ADSL transmits 256 different 4khz tones. Notice I used the word "tone". ADSL is older technology and in reality some early deployments only worked well on vendor specific modems but now I would wager any old ADSL subscription would work fine.

ETSI TS 101 388
    ETR 328
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Oops.

Come to think of it, that makes a lot of sense all of a sudden. Otherwise why would a modem be required?

** Striek bangs his head off the desk ***

I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I confused it with PPPoE, used everywhere DSL is in these parts. Thanks for the correction.

I stand corrected.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!