primary ip address
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primary ip address

primary ip address

i was solving exercises of TCP/IP stevens and encoutered this question

If you have an account on a host that is connected to a TCP/IP internet, what is its primary IP address? Is the host connected to the worldwide Internet? Is it multihomed?

an Internet is same as internet but reverse is not true.but as far primary ip address is concerned i have got no idea.I have my written examiation tomorrow and this question was asked last year.

I tried searcing the web but can't find the answer
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

I think you are confusing the words, here. Internet (which is TCP/IP stack based) is what we all use to connect to a totally remote website (like antionline.com - which is hosted in Connecticut if whois.sc is correct) or a service (like ssh, ftp, or POP/SMTP mail server) a intranet (which can be NetBUEI or IPX/SPX or a thousand other protocals based) is what we use to connect to a service on the company's network. This service (sometimes your company's daily web page or ftp of ssh or one of a hundred things) may or may not be connected to the internet, and is on your local network. The internet is not. It is beyond you company's routers or gateways or whatever.

Sorry if I am going over redundant information. I am a little drunk.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

The question is simply too vague. Almost any answer is correct.

If you have an account on a host that is connected to a TCP/IP internet, what is its primary IP address?
    Well that could be absolutely any address. You cannot determine a host's IP address given only the fact that it is on an internet. This would be akin to asking "If you live in a house that is on an interstate freeway, what is your address?"

Is it multihomed?
    Well maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Again, an internet connection alone is not enough information to answer this question. It does not negate the possibility of another internet connection, nor the possibility of a intranet connection on the other side. But maybe it is single homed, if it has only one connection. This would be akin to asking "There is a path in front of your house. Is there a path in the back as well?"

So unless there is some other information regarding these questions, there is simply insufficient information to answer them defintively.

For reference, officially, the Internet (capital I) referes to the worldwide Internet. An internet (lower case I) refers to any collection of more than one intranet. An intranet is a network with clearly defined logical borders, unlike an internet. Kind of like regional roads being an intranet and interstates being an internet. If we were to adopt a standard naming convention for all the roads in the world, this would be the Internet. Quite likely you know that already, but one can't be too sure.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Hey Hey,

The question is very vague,

I'm wondering if it's looking for the very basic answer of an RFC 1918 Address... a poorly worded question to see if you know the RFC that pertains to private addressing. They use the word Internet repeatedly... and the RFC is actually entitled 'Address Allocation for Private Internets'

Anyways.. that's my take on it.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

<begin shameless ego boost>

Yes but that's a title, and according to the rules of english grammar, all verbs, subjects, and nouns should be capitalized, but not prepositions. An internet is a noun, and is therefore capitalized due to its status as a noun in a title and not its place in the world.

</end shameless ego boost>

Dad raised me to be a spelling, punctuation, and grammar nazi, with daily lectures on the idioms of English.

Sorry
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

You cannot determine a host's IP address given only the fact that it is on an internet
    i beg to differ there...striek. sorry to say but some of you are answering there own questions, instead of asking him to aticulate the question! coz frankly we can't tell what he's askin
    see the sarcasim in my smile ????

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I agree that he misread the first "internet". It probably read intranet but the tired student is gett cross eyed....

The host's primary IP address on an intranet would be private. It would often be further connected to the Internet via some form of NAT or proxy device. It may be multihomed for it's internet connection should it not be using a NAT or proxy device. The previous could all be true but much would also depend upon the rights granted to the account referred to in the question.

That's the answer I would give and say "to hell with it" because the question is possibly the worst question I have ever seen in any test, (barring, of course, the philosophy question that asked "Is this a question?").
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Striek,

Dad raised me to be a spelling, punctuation, and grammar nazi, with daily lectures on the idioms of English.
    Must be hard hanging on a site where most members think that l33t sp33k is cool...

Sorry
    Missing a period, I guess?

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    I agree that he misread the first "internet". It probably read intranet but the tired student is gett cross eyed....
    I am sure it was internet here is a link to a online version of that book look at exercise of chapter 1 ....question number 5

http://angrypacket.com/~enz00/txts/tcpip.pdf

anyway i am really tired now will go to bad but before that i had one more question a data of size 8193 bytes has to be transmitted on ethernet we have to find number of fragments required.

thanks all for this wonderful discussion.
    see ya.
    nobody is perfect i am nobody

Wow, that book was written in 1993!

None the less my answers to the questions would ahve to be

The one you specify as the default
    It can be on the Internet
    It can be multihomed

They seem to give you a lack of information to really answer that question.