Thread: "Internet Zone" Checkers - port?

Hi,

I am behind a router here at my home network and I am unable to play the "Internet Checkers" game which Windows XP brings. Does anyone know what port it runs on so that I can unblock it on both my firewall and my router? Or could you please tell me how I could find out what port it runs on? (I have tried searching the M$ documentation, but in vain). Thanks,

[EDIT]
    Sorry, I know this isn't really security related, but it IS a noob question and it does involve networking....+ I already have 2 threads going in GCD...lol
    [/EDIT]

J_K9

AFAIK it is the MSN port which I think is 1873?

Hmmmm....I'll take your word for it! Oh, is that TCP or UDP btw? Thanks again,

J_K9

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    If that's a consumer grade router, (LinkSys, DLink, Netgear), then you don't need to unblock _any_ ports for traffic intiated by you if you have left it in it's default configuration. You _only_ unblock ports, (forward them), for services you wish to host for people outside to get to such as a web site.

You have another issue.... Unfortunately I can't help you with that.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Oh ok. I have a Linksys WAG54G Modem/Router/Firewall. I will probably upgrade the firmware soon because it is quite old, do you think that that might fix the problem? Cheers,

J_K9

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Naah.... On consumer grade routers the firmware always allows outbound connections to make them easy for the consumer to use... If they didn't they would spend more money on tech support than they take in on sales....

While upgrading the firmware is a _good_ idea it's not going to fix the problem.... Again, I can't help you with the issue itself because I would overcomplicate the issue for you by asking you to use tools you aren't used to in a network configuration you might not have the equipment to use them with anyway.... Sorry.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

J_K9

1. What actually happens when you try to start the game?
    2. Do you get any messages?
    3. Is there anything in the event logs?
    4. Are you using IE 6.0?
    5. Have you set up MSN?

Can you run the game offline?

nihil: When I start up the game, it says "Connecting to the internet game server". ....Wait a minute.......Now it has let me join a game!! I'm not really sure what happened yesterday...maybe the Zone.com server was temporarily down(?). Thanks for all your help guys, even if it was to fix something which didn't need fixing...

J_K9