Thread: forum redirect?

forum redirect?

I think this is php cmd but not 100pct sure, ive seen this done on some forums but how would I make a new thread on a forum, and the topic name would apear as hello , and when they click the thread it will redirect them to google?

I'm not sure, but I think this is php. How can I change a posts's title so that when users click the thread, they are redirected to my port advertising site?

Careful what you ask.

I don't think it's possible, or at least very difficlut in any case. The php code just generates the html <TITLE> tag (or whatever it's called). The tags, in turn, only change the title of a page. HTML will not respond to a redirect embedded in a title. It is however possible that some faulty or buggy forum code will do this, in which case, it's just a matter of finding the versions which are vulnberable by some means and trying it on those.

But basically, it's a lot more difficult than you are assuming, I think.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

well in signitures, you dont have to include <html> when . lets say. putting a link , all you would do is
    Code:
    [ URL= www.google.com]google[ /URL ]
    so the <html> is already built in somewhere in the source, but im positive it is possible.

You don't need to include the html code, no. But before that text gets stored to a database and retranslated via the php engine back into html, it is indeed turned into a proper HTML <A HREF> tag.

So you do need html code in signatures, but it's just the form parser (or the php engine after the data is pulled) that changes it to HTML before your browser gets to see it. All your browser sees is the HTML.

It may be possible to put in a php rediredt where the page title is supposed to be, but I would image that any recent forum code (vbulletin, phpbb et al...) would have enough input validation that this wouldn't be a problem. So either the code would become part of the page title and the browser would not redirect it after the php formats it to do this, or the page titile will be declared invalid and the user will be asked for another one, or a default put in its place.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

on most forum software I ave worked with the bbcode is handled by using preg_replace to find the tags like [.b] [.i] [.url] and convert it to the corresponding html tags

as for entering html into the title etc if the forum software is any good at all it will strip all html/php/javascript from a message before it s posted. There are some forums which have this stripping disabled and in those cases you could use a simple javascript redirect to do what you asked simply by placing it in the message body

Code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    window.location="http://www.yourdomain.com/";
    </script>
    but as I said the forum would need to have code stripping disabled - which the majority will not have as it is a major security flaw.

v_Ln