Thread: FireFox as Windows Explorer

FireFox as Windows Explorer

Hey guys I'm not quite sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm not sure where else would be better. Admin if there is some place better to post it plz move it there. And if I piss anyone off I'm sry last time I posted here I got flamed pretty bad and dont want that to happen again.

Anyways on to my original question. I've heard rumors out on the internet that it is possible to use Mozilla FireFox in place of Windows Explorer. By this I mean using FireFox as my default window viewer or intergrating FireFox into Windows XP. Again like I said these are only rumors that I've heard but have not been able to find anything on Google, Yahoo, or even YaGaHooGle (I know the website is a joke but it does a good job).

Plz if anyone knows how to do this I would really appreciate detailed instructions. All I've been able to find out is that it takes a lot of indepth deleteing and pasting of files and folders. I've been looking on the search engines listed above for the last week but have not found anything. I appreciate any and all help in this matter and I thank you in advance for your help.

I am currently using XP pro w/SP2
    Wow this registration form makes me feel stupid. Im scared to go to the forums.

You can make Firefox your default web browser. In Add and Remove programs, click "Set Program Access and Defaults". Then choose Firefox as your default.

If you mean you want to view files on your hard drive the same way you can in Internet Explorer, then simply type the drive letter or path and press enter. c:\ will give show you the directory structure. You can also use file:///c:/

I haven't seen how you can copy and paste files and such for that. You'd need either Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer. They are so tightly integrated, they can each do some of the same tasks.

As far as I know, you can just make another browser your default browser. You can't actually "delete" it. You will need it for active x websites such as windows updates... unless you like to download all files individually and install them.

If I'm misunderstanding your question... please elaborate on what you want to do.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I'm not looking to uninstall IE, I just want to do this for when im trying to organize files or work on different projects at the same time and I dont want to have my whole taskbar filled with open windows. I know that XP now does the taskbar grouping but that makes it even more complicated. I want to be able to open 10-12 different folders in one window and switch between them like tabbed browsing. I want to be able click on My Computer or any other folder and it opens to look like FireFox. But like I said earlier all I've heard so far is just rumors out on the internet. This may be compleatly impossible (which wouldnt surprise me considering M$). Hope this helps explain it a little clearer for you. But then again knowing my luck I'll most likely confuse you more.

Hi PapaSmurf

If you have MS Office, please check out "Outlook"............yes I know everyone thinks it is a mailing application...........it actually does a lot more

I am not sure about WinXP, but I have an app somewhere that runs on Win2K and works like Winfile.exe (remember the old 16 bit DOS app?)............I will try to find it for you

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi PapaSmurf

If you have MS Office, please check out "Outlook"............yes I know everyone thinks it is a mailing application...........it actually does a lot more
    Plz explain I dont currently use MS Office, I use OpenOffice.org. I've gotten very into the whole OSS thing lately and rarely use Windows. I am currently trying to do this for work and a couple friends.

I am not sure about WinXP, but I have an app somewhere that runs on Win2K and works like Winfile.exe (remember the old 16 bit DOS app?)............I will try to find it for you
    Refresh my memory. Thanks

Old Fart
    Using Mozilla 1.7.8 it worked fine for me...could open tabs on all 4 drives at once, open the same drive in multiple tabs, etc. Still haven't figured out how to get it to be default for file manager tho.

Personally, I still prefer Total Commander ( www.ghisler.com ) as a file manager....it BLOWS winexplorer out of the water. Do yourself a favor and check it out...it may not be exactly what you're looking for but it beats the hell out of what M$ gives you in Windows.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...