Thread: Netscape Browser 8.0/8.1

Netscape Browser 8.0/8.1

Is anyone using this browser for the internet? I was reading up on it and decided to give it a try. It contains both Internet Explorer and Firefox engines so you can get both browsers capabilities. I was just wondering if anyone is using this or know of any security flaws that it might contain?

Haven’t tried it, but just for that reason.

How do you choose what browser engine to use?

This sounds like a win/loose /loose/win, or win/win /loose/loose situation, depending on which side of the fence you are on.

I have been a Netscape user since migrating from Mosaic ( what IE claims to be based off of. ).

There have been problems ( especially when AOL took over, during the law suit with M$ ) but it became open source ( Mozilla ) and compared to the problems that IE had I was fairly content.

So why does AOL think that incorporating IE into Netscape would be welcome?

Have they Sold out?

Just curious here.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Because there's a lot of lame coders out there who think they're just king s**t because they can make a webpage in Dreamweaver and they can see it in IE. Some never test it with other browsers, or either aren't good enough to make it compatible with others, or just plain lazy.

Other times, IE is just required, such as in Windows Update (if you don't know how to save and execute locally).

Bottom line -- this will enable more people to ditch IE completely (aside from its inclusion with all Windows builds) and run thier browser instead.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Bottom line -- this will enable more people to ditch IE completely (aside from its inclusion with all Windows builds) and run thier browser instead.
    Yes, but that was my problem with the new Netscape. Are they really ditching IE ? ( thus the comment about selling out )

And my question :
    How do you choose what browser engine to use?
    Now, just because you are using a different browser does not mean you are using a different browser engine, which is where the problems occur!

Yes, you may have to only patch the IS ( because IE is so tightly integrated with the OS ) but it could still be based on IE.

And I agree about the coders. Too many people rely on WYSIWYG programs without any fathom of what they are actually doing ( notice my response to http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?threadid=268485] Web Browser Bug[/URL]
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I do know of a problem with Netscape 8, it currently conflicts with IE, something to do with XML. Apparently, after Netscape 8 is installed, XML pages cannot be displayed in IE.

I forget where I saw this, /. probably.