Thread: Tor with privoxy

Tor with privoxy

Does anyone use TOR and privoxy on here? I am new to this board so I really am not sure if this is old news. I know there are a lot of proxies out there that run on port 8080. I recently downloaded TOR because some classmates of mine did a presentation on it. Also is anyone familiar with the logs that TOR spits out while browsing the net and how to analyze them?

I've never used TOR myself, although I've read the documentation and it does look quite promising right now. I don't know if this is relevant to your question, but there was a recent thread which discusses TOR here in a fair bit of datail, at http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=268322

It may be of some use to you.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

jrblack317,

Well, I downloaded Tor and Privoxy the other night... seem to work on my XP box... haven't tried them on my Slack box yet, but (since Tor was originally released for *nix) I'd imagine it works ok...

As far as reading the logs - well, under Windows, Tor just fires up... looks like Privoxy keeps all of the logs... and those seem pretty straight-forward... just shows what sites you've visited, etc (i.e. requests, etc.)...

A downside though - Tor+Privoxy slow down my broadband connection quite noticeably... of course, I *never* do *anything* wrong anyway, so I don't necessarily need to use a proxy... (ZenCoder suggested Tor in a previous post, which is the only reason I tried it out anyway)

Another pain in the ass is the fact that your IP will change consistently while they're running- which is great for anonymity, but sucks when you're browsing sites like AO and have to login every other minute...

Anyway, proxies definitely have their purpose and place... but for general browsing, I prefer to leave them off...

-Wiski C.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

I've been using tor on and off for a while. It depends on what I'm doing.

For instance... just the other day I submitted an email to crime stoppers. They "guarantee two things"... they pay cash (which I don't care about) and they guarantee anonymity. I don't know *how* they guarantee anonymity... but I just want to make sure. I know that they can find out who I am through email headers and the like. So, I'll make it just a bit more difficult for them.

I have tor on my laptop with wifi... so I drove around a good ways from my house. I was on a business "trip" and they can take me 150mi from my home. Fire up tor and register a new email account with yahoo. Then wait for the ip to change again and send my email draft.

Quick, easy, and it'll be harder to find me. I don't care about reward... I just want the new "shop" that moved in a block away to stop loitering and selling drugs in front of/ out of the store. Anyone who just walks by won't notice it... but people who are always around will.

Not the kind of people you want to take head on. They won't play by the rules...

However, Tor says don't rely on it for strong anonymity. Thats why I went through the extra step of using an open wifi that can't be traced back to me.

Your original question has already been answered... privoxy logs your connections locally. I'm not sure if each onion router logs the traffic going through them. Seeing that *anyone* can be an onion router... and traffic between each hop is encrypted...

I doubt that they can log.

I'm not functioning as an onion router... however, the docs seem pretty complete. You may want to dig through them.

Perfect forward secrecy: In the original Onion Routing design, a single hostile node could record traffic and later compromise successive nodes in the circuit and force them to decrypt it. Rather than using a single multiply encrypted data structure (an onion) to lay each circuit, Tor now uses an incremental or telescoping path-building design, where the initiator negotiates session keys with each successive hop in the circuit. Once these keys are deleted, subsequently compromised nodes cannot decrypt old traffic. As a side benefit, onion replay detection is no longer necessary, and the process of building circuits is more reliable, since the initiator knows when a hop fails and can then try extending to a new node.
    http://tor.eff.org/cvs/tor/doc/desig...or-design.html
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.