Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laugh at me, then help ;)

Laugh at me, then help ;)

Ok, her's my dilemma.

I was playing around with my registry on my XP pro machine. I wanted to make the accounts names invisible, so I added my user account to the registry under HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/WINlogon/SpecialAccounts /Userlist. This is where windows records which accounts will be invisible.

Well, it worked, but there was a problem - I didnt turn off the Welcome Screen feature, the one that causes all available user accounts to be displayed as icons and lets the user choose them by clicking on the icon.

So, when I rebooted, I got the welcome screen, but no accounts were there for me to click on . In other words, Im locked out of my own system.

*waits for laughter to die down*

Now, I couldjust reinstall and be done with it, but where's the fun in that?

Any idea how I can get back into my machine without a reinstall?

push ctrl+alt+del two times them write username and login
    // too far away outside of limit

well, that seems easy enough, Ill do that tonight, thanks

Once you get into the computer, go into control panel, user accounts and click on change the way users logon. I don't remember the exact wording... you may have to disable fast user switching too.

That will give a login box prompting users to put in user id and password.

Its been a while since I've messed with xp home... as soon as I join my PCs to the domain, it is automatically switched.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

cool, its Xp pro Im using, but Im not ona domain - yet. Once I get this resolved Ill set up my 2k3 server and see what else i can break

Once I get this resolved Ill set up my 2k3 server and see what else i can break
    I like your attitude !
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Once I get this resolved Ill set up my 2k3 server and see what else i can break
    Breaking it is the easy bit.... Fixing it is harder....

But I agree... The attitude is a good one.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

T3h Ch3F

Thumbs up Green

Originally posted here by Razorwind23
    cool, its Xp pro Im using, but Im not ona domain - yet. Once I get this resolved Ill set up my 2k3 server and see what else i can break
    Greenies from me 2! If only we all could have this outlook on things.......

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

I would try and Offline registry editor such as
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It lets you boot from a CD or floppy and edit your regisrty and user accounts.

Just go back in to your registry and delete what you added, then boot back up and setup Windows for the non welcome screen login, and then thrown down your registry hack.

Cheers
    It dosen\'t matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winnings winning.

I too appreciate your outlook.

One word of advice when messing with the registry keepy a backup copy, actually when messing with anything keep a backup copy.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.