Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q. Backup sulutions

But how to backup registry files from %windir%\system32\config ?
    I cannot get access to them.
    Exist it some other way to backup/restore registry?
    Should I use
    "reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE test.reg"
    or it is not good idea?
    Can it be problem with import of registry?
    And what registry keys is most important to do backup of?

To backup wpa* is easy in console mode.
    .....I think now that using of windows buildin fictions like copy,xcopy can be enough becouse thay can verify files that was copied too. Or I losing perfomance or it more practical to use other software for it?
    // too far away outside of limit

hm..... ouch ....
    I traid to backup this but it not working in command line
    xcopy /Y /S /I /T %USERPROFILE%\"Application Data" "C:\tess2"
    I getting error about wrong command line

But this working...
    xcopy /Y /S /I /T %TEMP%\..\"Application Data" "C:\tess1"

I want to do back up of outlook mail manual with command line options

Like i sayd, install everyting you need on your computer, and then ghost your hard drive, that will backup your registry as well.

Microsoft Outlook, he is located c:\Document And Settings\your username\Local Data\Microsoft (not sure anymore, i don't use windows)

you can use a software to backup all the files in the Outlook directory. you can use "Handy Backup pro", this backup software will by it self, search for your emails and contacts and backup. all you have to do, is choose your client email, and the backup utility will do everyting for you

Why you insist on backup with comand lines?

Originally posted here by yuris

Why you insist on backup with comand lines?
    Becouse I think that it will be much chipper, eh....
    -->I gonna be better in windows so I did some simple bat files to backup/restore important folders to password protected archives, work fine for BartPE and is chip backup that can even be access protected with "cacls" alternative to "chmod", that makes that backup can be restored/updated only by booting from BartCD and it is very chip qalited backup(for this time,but it takes a lot of time to do this) , eh....I like k/Console more and more.....

Well if you like console that mutch, why don't you do like me and join linux comunity

90% of linux software its free you can't get cheeper that this
    hihihihih

I will do it late, but now I traing to tech much more about windows and get good knowledge.
    I have no job yet and most of people are using windows so I need good bases for windows to get job. I think that I have almost enough about home computers, then it will be more about servers and linux.
    (<!--I am just poor for a while, on way to get job, and I using all my time for this--&gt

I just plaing with linux(mandrake,TSL, and some other Live BootCDs) sometimes when my "ideas" done/gone for window.

I agree with you on learning more, but don't get pointed at windows only, try diferent stuff.

I know about windows enought to keep doing my work, and help others, but know im changing all operative system of the company that i give admin support. Im changing to linux.

But there are software (very expensive one), that is vital to them, so i will need windows, what i did was a Terminal Server.

Now everyone have linux, with access to Windows Terminal Service just for a specified software. This will make things much cheeper for the company owner.

This is why you shoulnd't just keep pointed to windows, many companys ask for an alternative to windows, a cheeper one.
    I belive in the matter of Servers, Linux is most like to be the future. they are more robust, secure, reliable and cheeper and a enormus support
    And once again, the best thing is that it's free :P

I will do it too if will get better in linux, but linux is very big and powefull and it takes a lot of time to teach but with good support it will faster, hehe, eh
    Some/most workers in companies can use just windows and/or do not like computers at all.
    For them it will be almost impossible to change to linux I think.
    And I think that it can be difficult to sencronize laptop with windows on to linux box.

I my town where I live become some economical problem so good teathers got fired. This year I hope that it will be better and then I can get more help with linux. Still have problem with installing of drivers for linux. I also hope that linux have better backup solutions then windows have. It is very important for companies and for some home users.

I have much more questions about linux and compatibility of linux with windows but no time yet

thx v much f help

If you are a system administrator you don't have really to "teach", all you have to do, is to install the programs they need and show them how they work. I don't need to teach how to install and move around on linux, thats your job, not them.

To make a company change there minds on windows to linux, its easy... all you have to say is... "Linux its FREE" you don't have to pay licences, all the software is "FREE", don't have to pay licence either.
    These days linux is getting more and more easy to use, and have great support.
    You can make network between Linux and windows. And yah... you can install linux on a laptop, and linux have a vast drivers support.
    Linux have alot of software to backup, he even have TAPE DAT Support, i have a Linux server with TAPE DAT that backups all the data i need. Check on the google or in a linux comunity for "dd" command on linux, you will find it most interesing.

I know its hard to start on a new O.S, especily one that have a reputation for being hard, and only great minds and hackers use it. But you will find thats not true, even my girlfreind that doen's know anything about computers, and have a minimal use in windows, she uses my linux to chat, surf on the web, play games...etc.

She uses because i have configured the system, but this was what i was telling you, this is the job of a system administrator, you install and configure and move around the system, the users only have to know is how to work with the programs.

Good luck on your quest to windows ehehe
    any questions about linux, i guess you can post on this forum. But there are other forums out there.
    i could point some, but im afraid that will not allowed here... im not sure.
    you can allways google up for linux comunity and forums
    ehehe