Thread: Using Telnet in WinXP (Pro and Home ed)

Using Telnet in WinXP (Pro and Home ed)

Still new and learning so please be patient. On my home network, I have two boxes. One running winXP and the other winXP home ed. For general education purposes, I am trying to learn Telnet. However, after creating accounts in terminal service groups, enabling the service, attempting to telnet with my firewall disabled, I am still having trouble. I have googled and searched AO forums and have found that there are problems with Telnet in winXP. But I am beginning to wonder if there is problems Telnetting between the OS's (Pro and Home ed). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Links I have referenced:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...elnet+in+WinXP

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...p&pagenumber=2
    Go Spurs Go!
    One Team, One Goal

You need to have a telnet server running on the system you're trying to connect to.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    There is no issue with Telnetting between Win32 clients.

First, as zENG pointed out, see if the service is running on the host you want to connect to. Either look at your services section in control panel or go to the command line and do a netstat -an and look for listening service on port 23. This is the first place to start.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Ok I think I figured it out. WinXP Home edition does not come with a telnet server (however you can buy it from GoodTech Systems for $100.00+). The telnet server is included in the 'advanced networking pack' installation cd for winXP but you have to manually install. Therefore, you can telnet from the XP home edition into the Pro edition but never the otherway around (unless of course you are willing to pay the money). Or I could just get a Knoppix distro. Thanks for the help.
    Go Spurs Go!
    One Team, One Goal

There are many different telnet daemon (servers) that you can run on WinXP. I would venture to say tehre are probably a good number of free ones out there. TUCOWS would probably be a good place to look for one.