Thread: Barnyard, BASE and postgresql

Barnyard, BASE and postgresql

Has anyone here successfully used BASE (v1.1.2) (formerly known as ACID) with postgresql? What about barnyard with successful postgresql logging?

I have been using Snort with barnyard, MySQL and PHP based BASE, with no problems. Today, I decided to install postgresql. BASE claims to have postgresql support (and an option to select it in the setup), as does barnyard (barnyard also has an '--enable-postgresql' switch in the ./configure script.

So I install postgresql, setup the snort database, change the acid_DB option in barnyard to postgresql from MySQL, and fire up barnyard. But after compiling barnyard with the --enable-postgresql switch and changing the barnyard.conf db option to postgresql, barnyard tells me that 'postgresql' is an unknown option and that I must select a database flavor!

Well, after a lot of playing around with it, I decided that it DOES NOT support postgresql, regardless of the --enable-postgresql switch, unless someone here can confirm successful postgresql use with barnyard!

So I decide, okay, well Snort definately supports postgresql, so I changed the option from unified logging to direct postgresql database logging, and fired up Snort in test mode. No problems, everythings working, so I start it up and background it. I move a new directory of BASE PHP files over to the server, and start the configuration. I get to the database section, choose postGRES, and enter the snort database information and hit enter. BASE cant connect to the postgresql db! I verify that its running...yep. I verify that it is bound to its TCP port...yep. And verify that I can connect to the db via the console...yep! What the hell!?!

After all that, these 2 items that claim to support postgresql, dont seem to support it at all!

So please let me know if you have had the same experience here, or if you have gotten either one of these to work with postgresql.

Thanks

Re: Barnyard, BASE and postgresql

Originally posted here by Dr. Psy
    Has anyone here successfully used BASE (v1.1.2) (formerly known as ACID) with postgresql? What about barnyard with successful postgresql logging?
    I did, back when I was working on the project.

Coming here shouldn't have been your first stop really. You should start on the BASE-User forums, where the devs can actually see your questions.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=404428
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

chsh,

Thank for the suggestion. Usually, I have little trouble with projects that I am working on. However, I had been reading this board lately, and AntiOnline having an IDS forum, seemed like a good place to post this. However, I appreciate your question. I will have a look over thre and see wht I can find, and if nothing, then I will post. (I hadn't even thought about the forum over there! ;-)

Anyways, you DID get BASE connecting to a postgresql db?

Yep, but again, that was on a devleopment version a while back. I haven't been part of the project since about late January/early February.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?