Thread: Advice

Advice

Im new and i am looking for on-line training in computer networking and security. I appreciate any help.

Thank You

Charlie

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Don't know about the USA :

But I'm using these for my study purposes.

Or I've had EMails [unsolicited - Spam ish] from these

And these

As stated I'm UK based, SO they might not DO USA, but I'll post these in case anyone who CAN use them is interested.............

And welcome to AO
    Luck with your training.
    Pax
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I don't know what you have at the moment, but I would recommend looking into the CCNA from Cisco for starting you off with networking(Doesn't cover much on security at this level. I believe one of their higher ones might). I'm doing it at the moment (actualy part of one of my A-Levels) and it seems quite for basics of networking. Although it is focused on using Cisco equipment because they run it, it does include some good overall basics. It isn't completely online, but they have Acadamies around the world. you could look and see if there is one near you here . Hope this helps.

I checked out the website you sent and it looks like a good one. I requested info from a on-line school here but havent heard anything yet. Thanks for the fast reply and help.

I hate using this stupid line, but you should kind of check google. I kid you not, type in free online computer training and you will get plenty of things.

I do have a question though, do you want actual courses or do you just want reads. Ie... Do you want the knowledge or the certification?

If you want the knowledge, there are a million and one places to look, starting with here. If you are going for the cert. don't know of any free ones.

But, I would say start out with IBM, and M$ they both have a really large area for papers and reads. That are free.

Depending on what area of networking, and what area of security you are referring to, I might be able to get you some more stuff. I will recommend looking for email reponce groups. They are helpful, and they let you help other people, at the same time get a crap load of people to answer you question.

It's hard to say what will interest you the most if you are just starting out. I started with the latest Hacking Exposed book. It covered all of the basics and I have been able to find things using search engines like Google since then to further my knowledge.

Hope this helps.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    http://www.sans.org/rr/

SANS reading room, has 1500+ white papers written be 'students' pursuing their GIAC certifications. The topics and audience will be varied, and a lot of it may be over your head, but there should be some excellent 'how-to' sort of papers in their as well.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Thanks