Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Require a Certain Post Count before Submitting Tutorials

Well HT you have asked a fair question that I believe deserves an answer:

nihil, I'm not asking why JupM supports them, I'm asking why you support these people... Why do you respond to threads started by idiots? Will you deal with an inferior tailor or a sub-par auto mechanic? and if you make that mistake once, do you take your car back because maybe they'll learn from it? If you don't, then why do it here.
    OK, you obviously understand Jupiter Media's commercial stance so we are in agreement there? all that leaves is my personal approach?

Now, although my backgound is systems analysis, design and architecture; I have also had many years experience messing with hardware. In a small organisation, you cannot hide behind a job title, you are the man on the spot so you deal with it. It also means that you deal with total computer illiterates, who just might be good at their jobs?

As I now live in a rather small resort and fishing town, there are fewer people to talk with after work about serious matters. In fact I mostly work from home. You would be amazed at what I get asked in the pub, or people ring me up about ...............for example, the other day someone rang me up saying that their mouse didn't work..............I told him to replace the batteries!!!........it worked then!!!

I guess that over the years I have learned to be patient with these sorts of people. Another point is that hardware fault finding is a skill that takes some time to acquire, so I do not see that many posts that are not valid. Sure, I will answer the odd idiot one, but that is only to kill it

In other posts I am either being humorous, ironic or sarcastic................and I do need my monthly intake of Trolls............... they help take the fur off my teeth.

I would ask you to look at these site statistics:

Senior Members...............................213
    Addicts.............................................74
    Members..........................................97

And I would bet that less than a half of those are active?

Anyway, Jupiter Media are not going to change this into some sort of security elitist site so you will have to learn to live with it. I still believe that the problem is not enough active security experts...............until that is addressed, I do not see any prospect for change.

In the final analysis "If you know of a better site: go to it "

Cheers

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Sorry to dig up an elderly thread but I had a thought and this was the most recent thread regarding similar ideas to that thought.

Could tutorials be sumitted to a write only forum/folder for peer review. If the tutorial is deemed to be worthy it is entered into the correct tut area. If it is good but a bit scrappy it could be returned to the author with an invite to resubmit.

Now I can see problems with that idea, who would carry out the peer review, who vets the vetters, who would give up the time to do such a task.

Reviewers would probably have to be named at the end of the paper.

I think this is the way scientific papers are submitted for publishing. It would cut down the chaff if it worked well.

'tis only an idea.

What you are talking about is called private messages, conference rooms, email & the like...

With the way things are done here in site suggestions I really don't understand why we even keep features on this site at all since it will be replaced as soon as members forget about them.

Look at what is happening here... you got all this "blue" where the purple should be.
    This "thread AP" crap hanging over threads and doing nothing more than looking ugly.
    The same with links to news articles that get posted on the site anyways.
    Just a few inches under this post is not one but TWO search bars.

But then if some random new guy thinks something should be added everyone jumps on the bandwagon and JupM will implement something for their marketing guinea pigs. Meanwhile someone will forget about it or we're so cluttered with **** we now have navigational problems aswell... then what? We'll repeat the process of needlessly adding something to this site.