Thread: Google Toolbar for Firefox

AO Senior Cow-beller

Cool Google Toolbar for Firefox

Source
    Google has finally released its popular Google Toolbar for the Firefox browser as of today. The toolbar, which provides users with easy access to Google's search as well as services such as spell checking and translation, has been available for IE for more than four years. The release was announced via an e-mail from Google engineer Fritz Schneider stating a probable release date of yesterday, although the toolbar didn't show here until today.

Schneider also said in the e-mail, "It has pretty much the same features as the latest IE toolbar except of course for things like the pop-up blocker. We really appreciate the work you folks did to fill this gap in our products for so long, so users can make the choice of which toolbar they'd like to install."

You can get your version of the toolbar here.
    W00T. 'Nuff said.

/* Edit : guess there WAS more to say... */

Can't wait for the Lynx version...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

The toolbar, which provides users with easy access to Google's search
    Doesnt firefox come installed with a google seach bar, as well as a yahoo,amazon, dictionary and ebay bar ?

But sure Google Toolbar is always good....
    O.G at A.O

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Sort of. It's that drop down thingy, and there are several others you can add from the firefox central site (I like M-W.com's dictionary instead of dictionary.reference.com, so I use it).

However, it's not really the full blown google toolbar. G's toolbar add's a lot of simplistic things; "Blog This!" button for Blogger users , highlighting search terms on the page, page ranking statistics, some other things.

However, I am in the midst of troubleshooting a problem. Every post I have made here, since installing it (and I tried it three times, before switching to Internet Exploder) has caused a crash. The Java spell checker (which I don't use...imagin taht) and the G toolbar don't play nicely, I'm guessing. Unsubstantiated at this time.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore