Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASP.Net Question

ASP.Net Question

Hi all...
    I'm a beginner ASP.Net developer who's trying to develop some educational web site.
    My web site contains some exams that must be limited to a certain period of time (exactly like CCNA exams)...
    how can I do some thing?
    What method shall use for such way?

Hi,

Be more specific ... in this case you imply that you know nothing .... how on earth should we help you out? ... coding the whole site for you ????

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Assuming you can write the code and just need an idea on which direction to go...

...you'll probably need to use some JavaScript for the Web Browser to limit the time allowed for each question to what ever you want.

If you display one question at a time your ASP script could store the questions & answers & time limit, and then give the time limit to the browser through a JavaScript that uses the time information to limit the time. After that time it could submit the question & answer back to the server and your ASP would find the question & check the answer.

Tracking the users score is something you'd have to figure out though. But you'll definately need a combination of ASP (Server Side) and JavaScript (Client Side). Cheers.

Thanks all...
    I'm sorry if my question wasn't very specific or clear...
    The problem I'm facing is in limiting the time of the whole exam... and limiting the period of availability of the exam...
    I've prepared some pages that'll enable the admin to put the required questions and answers dynamically.... and there's no problem in tracking the answers...
    since I dont have much experience in javascript I'll try to read something about it...
    But of course it'll be a good idea if you can help
    thanx Tim_axe again...

Ninja Code Monkey
    Who is your userbase going to be? General public or a smaller audience like a class? How important is it that the tests be limited to a specific time limit? Do you care if your users screw with your time limits?

Is the app database driven?

I'd evaluate all of these before you bother screwing with javascript. Client side scripting can be a pain to maintain between the various browser types, and you cannot depend on it. People can freely turn it off, tweak it, etc.

If it's db driven it's a simple thing to add a column to a table or create another table to hold the start and end dates, start and end times, etc for your application. Doing this with a flatfile would be kind of silly...if you're looking at that route I'd suggest an xml file which also isn't all that difficult to deal with. A little ado.net and viola you have an instant access control system. You can use the jscript to show them a timer (that is just for display) if you like.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Hello...
    Thanx Juridian
    Yes the web base is database driven...
    the problem is that i know nothing abt javascript...
    who can help?

This site has a quiz that might get you started...it makes a new window and closes it (or looses focus) after a few seconds if it is not answered (though it doesn't have an answer area either - you'll need to add your own)... http://www.zerobio.com/qiz_tym0.htm

Ninja Code Monkey
    I would control everything via the asp.net and the db...maybe just use the client side jscript for fluff like autoclosing the window or a visible timer.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I think asp.net will not help...
    I didnt find a useful method for doing this...
    ok, the time limits are stored in the db, but asp.net can't control the time...
    we need some dynamic element in the client side...

Originally posted here by th3er
    I think asp.net will not help...
    I didnt find a useful method for doing this...
    ok, the time limits are stored in the db, but asp.net can't control the time...
    we need some dynamic element in the client side...
    You wouldn't control the time client-side, you would simply provide a counter and a thing that warns them when they are running out of time. You have a timestamp taken when the page loads server-side, and should their submission take place after timestamp + time alotted they get an error page. It's a pretty basic straightforward system. Whatever you do, you should not be trusting the clients, all validation should take place server-side.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?