Thread: Net checker

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Net checker

Hey there guys

I am running Windows Xp. Just would like to know if there is a program that can tell me exactly what is eating my bandwidth. SO I can stop it immediatlly.

Thanks guys

ethereal will do it. It is a packet captuing program that will show you all incomming/out going packets in real time. Just start it up, and dont do anything on the internet and see if traffic is flowing. you can also do a netstat -a to see what ports are open. Chances are its some type of malware if it just a bandwidth problem. or just a slow connection.

alwyas remember, the speed your ISP gives you is the MAX POSSIBLE not neccessarily what you will be getting all the time. and if you are judging your bandwidth becasue you can download fast off p2p programs then remeber that it will only download as fast as the other can upload it.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hi Cider,

This has a free trial...it's probably more than you need but it should tell you what applications are eating your bandwidth...
    Application-wise Bandwidth Distribution

These reports show you bandwidth usage per application, giving instant visibility into which applications are using up maximum bandwidth.
    http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr...ml?adwords33bm
    Bandwidth Monitoring with NetFlow Analyzer

Too much ?

Eg

A bit of a strange way to figure out what is eating your bandwith.

But kerio gives a full report on both the in out and relative connections on your system. Including what they are connecting too how much data they already collected and all that good stuff.

But if you already have a firewall its a bit useless
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

There are a couple of ways to go about it. It depends on your setup. If you are just using one computer connected to a broadband or dial up account... the utilities mentioned above should work fine.

If you are troubleshooting a larger network... then

You can place a linux box between your internet connection and your hosts. Route all traffic through the linux box and run the "iptraf", etherape and ehthereal utilities. That'll give you all the info you could ever want about your traffic flow.

etherape: visual representation about what type of traffic, and which hosts create the most.

iptraf: ip traffic statistics

ethereal: very flexible packet capture program

I'd use iptraf and ethereape to get a visualization on which hosts are generating the traffic. Then I'd look at the packet capture from that host. Then I can start tracing backwards on the host itself... netstat, fport, task manager.

Egaladeist: Looks like a pretty nifty utility... however... its rather expensive. They do have a 30day trial... which is nice.... but if you get hooked... you'll have to start some 419 scams to pay the bill.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

thanks guys

Thanks guys

Im going to try Egaladeist post however i will try all. i do have Kerio so I will also try that.
    thanks you very much for your time and effort. Its a pleasure to be on with you guys.

Thanks