Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's that Microsoft? Linux is more secure than Windows?

What's that Microsoft? Linux is more secure than Windows?

I was readin the news when I read this and kind of laughed. First off, IIS is going to be re-done so Apache has competition... Yea, I'm sure everyone who runs web servers are scared now.

Anyway, the part I liked:

""Web (hosting), security and high-performance computing are the three areas where Linux has more strength," he said. "Clearly, the one we're weakest in is hosting."

Maybe he worded it wrong?

This is Microsoft's Bob Muglia, senior vice president in charge of Windows Server development.

Blast From the Past
    hey gore

not to bash your post bro... but i hope this doesnt turn into thoes "anything you can do i can do better" threads

linux vs windows
    6 of 1 / half dozen of another

windows is weak in hosting... its strong in userability
    linux... its weak in ease of use to new users.... yet strongest in hosting and web applications

on a different note
    im suprised that M$ admitted something though... a big corp admitting a weakness??
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I wouldn't want new users being administrators of my web hosting to begin with.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

Banned
    Bah, Linux security (and functionality in general) is so muddled these days it is pointless to discuss it without further qualifications. Otherwise you get people including LIDS, SELinux, Pitbull LX, their own custom patching, or whatever as they see fit with no regard for mutual exclusivity or formal evaluation. :-P

cheers,

catch

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by hexadecimal
    im suprised that M$ admitted something though... a big corp admitting a weakness??
    Oh, sure! Microsoft decided that they really care about your computer's security, so you know what they decided to do? Integrate their own personal antivirus (and possibly spyware protection, too, but I don't remember for sure) into Windows Longhorn! Sounds cool, doesn't it? Oh, wait... I forgot to mention... they're going to charge subscription fees!

So wait... let me get this straight. I pay you yearly fees so that you may produce AV definitions to clean up what your OS let through? Makes perfect sense. (Not.)

Don't get me wrong. Every OS has holes. But Microsoft's idea of fixing their OS's holes is just plain stupid.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Blast From the Past
    Oh, sure! Microsoft decided that they really care about your computer's security, so you know what they decided to do? Integrate their own personal antivirus (and possibly spyware protection, too, but I don't remember for sure) into Windows Longhorn! Sounds cool, doesn't it? Oh, wait... I forgot to mention... they're going to charge subscription fees!
    wow thats the first time hearing that one!
    i agree... thats just plain stupid... if they already dont make enough money from operating systems, msnbc, etc... now we will charge you for our mistakes....

Cant wait to see how that one goes when released.... will you be able to remove both the AV and spyware cleaner? or will they be intergrated into the OS like explorer
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

So far it looks like you will be able to choose whether you want to use it or not. I have been reading up on the new Longhorn here is a link sorta sheds light on it.

Longhorn Onecare

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Originally posted here by catch
    Bah, Linux security (and functionality in general) is so muddled these days it is pointless to discuss it without further qualifications. Otherwise you get people including LIDS, SELinux, Pitbull LX, their own custom patching, or whatever as they see fit with no regard for mutual exclusivity or formal evaluation. :-P

cheers,

catch
    Ohhhhh Catch dear, what about SUSE? Don't even act like you don't like them.

Banned
    Ohhhhh Catch dear, what about SUSE? Don't even act like you don't like them.
    That would be discussing "SUSE Linux" not "Linux." It is pretty clear what "SUSE Linux", "RedHat Linux", etc... but no one knows what plain old "Linux security" means.

That's what I mean.

cheers,

catch

Oh, I got ya. Yea I myself screw that up at times and well, Linux as a whole has done a lot lately to up security, but I do see your point there. I would love to see you use Windows Server 2003 though, it's much better than 2000.