Thread: Software

Question Software

Hey.
    Not sure what section to put this in, but considering I'm officially a Noob admin, i suppose it counts.
    I've heard of a piece of work station monitoring software called DNA, but recieved not much more info than that.
    Can someone please help me with info on it, or any other invisible network monitoring software.
    Thanks

Talking

thanks.
    I had Googled but had no idea which company produced it,so was trying to wade through copious amounts of info on DNA.
    Then i figured, why bother looking when someone else already knows.
    thanks again.

From my limited experience on this site, it's always best to say that you have already googled it and read the manual. If you fail to do this you may be burned up by some of the members who have been on this site longer, obviously making them better network admins than us newer guys.

God forbid anyone ask a question of the community that every joined to share knowledge and ideas.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

Hi The_Captain,

For most of the members here it's not a question of wanting or not wanting to " share knowledge and ideas "...

It's a question of whether or not the person has at least ' participated ' in trying to help himself...the members devote their time for ' free ' and would like people to at least help in the process instead of just being a lazy-a@@ who wants someone else to do all the work for them.

Try to keep in mind that no one here ( with a couple of exceptions ) is getting paid...for their advice or the time they put into obtaining or offering that advice...
    it's not unreasonable that they expect the person/s to have at least made an effort themselves.

Eg

You are quite right, I may have been a bit cynical there. I do appreciate the hard work that all the other members and I have taken to learn what we know.

Everyone here has helped me out when I needed a hand.

The ones that do burn me up though are the people that type out requests, using bad grammer and spelling, asking for "Uber Hax" to help them "pwn" some "newbs."
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

yeah, thanks all.
    I had googled it but didn't have the time right then to go through pages and pages of biology/dna results to find what i needed.
    anyway, thanks again all.
    Have what i needed.

Also just a tip but when googling use a combination of key words such as "DNA Network Monitoring" or something similar. Usually when I'm searching for stuff I'm able to find what I'm looking for just by using a few keys words. Also it depends on how the website is listed in googles search engine.

You may already know this but I figured I would throw that out as a helpful tip for other things you may need to try and find out about through google.

You know that u could have removed sum of the search results with google...

what is it you want to monitor on your network? although i have not had experience with DNA reading up on it leads me to believe its main use is keeping track of inventory.

Offers detailed Hardware + Software Inventory with innovative Internet + Application Metering, Software Distribution, PC Remote Control and full Enterprise Reporting...

... Facilitating central management of your enterprise PCs in a secure, coordinated and efficient manner, NetSupport DNA combines powerful Hardware and Software Inventory with Software Distribution, Application and Internet Metering, Web Based Helpdesk and award winning Remote Control functionality.
    http://www.netsupport-inc.com/

heres a link to an indepth review of it:

http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/...209revdna.html

here they say its inventory features shine while its other features kinda suck.

you might want to take a look at GFIlanguard from www.GFI.com

GFI LANguard N.S.S. scans your entire network, IP by IP, and provides information such as service pack level of the machine, missing security patches, wireless access points, USB devices, open shares, open ports, services/applications active on the computer, key registry entries, weak passwords, users and groups, and more. Scan results can easily be analyzed using filters and reports, enabling you to proactively secure your network - for example, by shutting down unnecessary ports, closing shares, installing service packs and hotfixes, etc.
    i guess it all depends on what you want to keep track of.

==================================

IMHO most of us come to AO to see what info we can pick up...to see what we can learn and to share what we have learned. tell somebody to google it and nobody learns anything. this site isn't as busy as at used to be and will get even slower if "google it" is the only answer someone can get. Although there are those where "google it" is just too good for the ignorant bastards.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”