Thread: Microsoft to grant pirate software amnesty to Indonesia

AntiOnline n00b

Microsoft to grant pirate software amnesty to Indonesia

Hi,

Source:AFP

JAKARTA (AFP) - Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, is to grant Indonesia an amnesty on pirated versions of its Windows program used on government computers in exchange for a token payment, a report said.

Under the deal, up to 50,000 computers running illegal software would be legalized at a dollar each, Information Minister Sofyan Djalil said, according to the Jakarta Post daily.

In exchange, Indonesia would promise to purchase authorized Microsoft merchandise in the future and launch a major crackdown on a pirated software racket that is believed to be one of the world's worst.

Djalil said the amnesty proposal emerged from a meeting between Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and Microsoft founder
    Bill Gates at the company's headquarters in Seattle last month.

"Microsoft is being realistic. They can't force developing countries like us to solely use legal software since we can't afford it. They want us to gradually reduce our use of it," Djalil said.

A study by the Business Software Alliance, an organisation of representing leading manufacturers including Microsoft, showed that 87 percent of the software on the market in Indonesia was pirated in 2004.

Counterfeiting in Indonesia cost the industry millions of dollars, the study said.

Nice start i Would Say ......

Peace

They can't stop the pirates so why not make them legal for a buck? But what happens if I was to load pirated copies on two of my home boxes and got caught? Bet they wouldn't charge me only a dollar! They'd take away my birthday and make me a bubba toy.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Generally i think it is a good way of trying to get these countries to commit to buying sofware legally..In the same breath it might cause just the opposite and ppl might abuse the rule..so i think it is good in general but some very clear ground rules should be laid down to qualify for something like this..
    Practise what you preach.

grant Indonesia an amnesty on pirated versions of its Windows program used on government computers
    This amnesty is for Government computers.. well as I read the quote.... so it wont apply to all indonesians

this quote has me thinking..
    they can't force developing countries like us to solely use legal software since we can't afford it. They want us to gradually reduce our use of it
    it reads that they want to reduce the use of legal software.. or is my mind realy twisted tonight
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr