ok I did a quick search on forums and didn't turn anything up on this - so if its old news I appologise but its just something I ahve been looking into and thought I would put my findings forward

First of all this is all speculation on my part - I dont know if google is devloping their own web-browser or not....am just presenting the evidence.

First of all we have all heard of gmail.com but what about gbrowser.com? Ok for those people who have rushed off to visit that site and found nothing - thats cause there is nothing there.....yet

tho the domain has been registered
here's the info

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View

Domain Name: gbrowser.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
DNS Admin
Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View
Fax- +1.6506188571
ok not conclusive of anything but then we take a look at this quote from the NEw York times :

[GOOGLE] is a magnetic pull for smart technology people," said Gary Stein, an analyst with Jupiter Research. "They're really trying to broaden their tech base. This is all about putting smart kids in a Google sandbox."

The browser strategy is supported by other clues as well. Last month, Google hosted Mozilla Developer Day on its campus.

ok so they are def showing an intrest in the area - quite a large intrest if their new staff is anything to go by

As of January 10, 2005, my source of income changed from The Mozilla Foundation to Google, Inc. of Mountain View, California.
^^ quote taken from the web-blog of Ben Goodger

for those of you who are not familiar with Ben or what he does he is lead engineer for Mozilla Firefox. Hmm things are starting to get interesting now

Ok any webmasters out there will prolly recognise this name GoogleBot. Check your website logs and it prolly appears in there somewhere. For those of you who dont know what GoogleBot is - its the name of the webspider which google uses to index pages for searching. But another name has been appearing in some logs....Google 0.X

There also apparantly was a mozilla bug report which was closed of with the comment

"This is a duplicate of a private bug about working with Google. So closing this one."
tho i cannot say if this is true or not as access to that bug is now restricted
So what does this all mean - well google already has cornered the search engine market, they have their desktop search, their image software (picasso) and also their blogging software - so many people are speculating this browser could pull all these things together - making it more of a 'platform' and less like an ordinary browser.

I dont know if all this speculation will amount to anything - but fingers crossed...I for one would love to see google branching out into the browser market!