Windows XP Services Question

Thread: Windows XP Services Question

Windows XP Services Question

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on this site after lurking for a long while. I'd appreciate any insight on this if possible.

My Box:
    I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 with all the lastest updates.

My Question:
    In disabling unnessary services via the services control panel, I noticed a strange service named 'Mspmpunsns.' This service is not linked to anything, has no description, and is disabled. Internet searches have turned up nothing on this, any ideas? Is this an error, and if so, is there a way to find this key in the registry and delete it?

The only software I've installed recently is Photoshop, camel mpeg joiner, and media player 10.

Thanks for your help everyone.

If google didnt find anything on it, it probably something bad, my best guess, it's good, let it be disabled. Did u search the registry for Mspmpunsns ? or msp* ?
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

First off I think some more info on your box(running xp service pack 2????)Some more harware info I think would help..I would suggest to run a good registry cleaner and do a search within that..It should take you straight to the relevant entry.Delete the entry..select next on your search bar and carry on untill you have found all the relevant entries..

hope it helps..
    cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

For me I just remove and disable anything I know nothing about .... that's just me.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

He has mentioned that the service is disabled so..if not used take it out
    Practise what you preach.

Thanks for the responses. Forgive me as I'm a bit a novice to computers in general.

I'm running a Pentium 4 box with a generic mobo and all in wonder video card. I have a linksey's router and firewall enabled. I'm using Windows XP with the latest Service Pack. I actually just reformated recently and went through all the steps to lock down the computer I've seen on this site.

I did a registry search and the key comes up as the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MSPMPUNSNS

Now the thing is I don't ever remember seeing this entry as a regular service in XP, so I suppose that's what got me a little worried.

I'm just trying to figure out if something fishy is going on. My computer is working fine and nothing seems odd. I've done internet searches and nothing comes up. I've ran Hijackthis, a virus scanner and got nothing strange. I tried to remove the registry key but it would not let me.