Thread: system tools

system tools

I'm used to:
    start>all programs>accesories>system tools>system restore/system info/disk cleanup...etc

I've installed service pack 2 onto a windows xp Professional machine. I've experienced very few problems....the only problem is the lack of the above menu.

I now have
    start>all programs>system tools> security center

security center covers
    -firewall
    -internet settings
    -antivirus

but not the other 'system tools'....what happened to them?
    using the terms "system tools" "service pack" "windows xp" in various combinations both here and on google yielded very few relevent results, is this an issue caused by something other then the service pack?
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

okay...I've searched extensively....there is no system tools folder anywhere on my system, it was either deleted or renamed at some point when or near the time I installed sp2.

I've managed to re-create most of the folder with shortcuts to the .exe fils for
    Character Map
    Disk Cleanup
    Disk Defragmenter
    System Information
    Scheduled Tasks
    System Restore

I still havn't found reference to this problem as part of sp2 issue.....It may not be linked, I'm going to try doing a clean install of xp and then of sp2 to see if the problem occurs a second time.

Just wanted ya'll to know this was resolved...thank you.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

HAven't encountered your specific problem yet..

SP2 may have been the cause..

The causes for problems with SP2 that I have encountered.

Some antivirus Programs
    Incompatable Applications (one Multi function center from canon has caused grief in this area)
    Spy/adware
    Corruption of HDD.. 99% of time the File format was FAT32

so if your doing a clean install only one of these listed items will not be of concern..

I would recommend making a SP2 slipstreamed version of your XP disk.. make the install process less trouble prone..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Faqt,

You never mentioned it...so...I'll ask...

Did you install service pack 1 first? I've heard that it can cause a few problems if you don't install Service pk 1 first.
    By what you said..." reinstall XP then service pk 2 "...you've bi-passed service pk 1 and that may not be a good idea.

Eg

EDIT: Faqt...if you've resolved the issue..do you mind telling us how? Just in case someone else has the same issue...it might come in handy if you ellaborate.

Not the cause eg.

the SP2 distribution file includes all the SP1 cabs (well those that are still needed)

so SP1 requirement is a phurphy
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

The question is, why would you want most of those in the start menu?

Second question, are they there in another user account? Could be a bad profile...

Oh, and a stupid american question. What is "phurphy"?
    Got #?

never heard of that problem. Are you using a limited account by chance? In fact ive never seen security center anywhere but in control pannels. strange.

I have installed sp2 on nearing 100 computers now and that was not one of the many issues encountered lol.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I might be wrong here but if you right click on my computer you will get a reference in the drop down menu called disk management...Is defrag and scandisk not in there when you right click on a specific drive and then properties??
    Practise what you preach.

Sorry to have to make a new post but i had to correct my previous one (my 1440 min were up)You can access scandisk and the rest like i mentioned but after checking on my machine at home i saw that you have to have administrative rights to the account though..
    Practise what you preach.