Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trendmicro Housecall now offers Spyware/Adware

Banned

Trendmicro Housecall now offers Spyware/Adware

The online virus scanner Housecall, by Trendmicro, now offers a comprehensive scan that includes AV, spyware/adware, and a general security survey. I've had great results with it personally. The only problem with it, is that it requires an active internet connection, and IE with ActiveX. So, this might not work in any case where IE or your internet connection has become corrupted due to said infection.

It's still a beta, and it's still free.

Housecall

and the scan takes -much- longer then the just virus one. they also offer secruity hole scanning iirc.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    and a general security survey

Yes it does take longer... but... it does a full virus scan, and then a full adware/spyware scan, and a security scan. So the actual amount of time remains relatively the same as if you had done each individual scan with a separate product. The advantage is that it is completely up to date the minute you start the scan, due to it being online. And of course, having all the tests in one package is very convenient, especially for the average home user.

Hey Hey,

I hadn't used housecall in quite a while so I decided to go and check it out... I must say I wasn't very impressed... I'm a huge Trend Micro advocate.. I love System Cleaner, PC-Cillin users that I've encountered are usually virus free compared to Norton, eTrust and McAffee supporters and in a lot of corporate environments that I've seen/heard about they push out updates quite frequently.. sometimes 3 or 4 times a day.. I was reported 66 pieces of spyware/adware (all just cookies) and 66 viruses.... AVG runs on my system daily so I know I'm clean.. .I decided to look and see what these viruses were before just letting it delete them. Everyone of the 66 was tool I'd downloaded that I know is clean or a program that I had compiled myself and some that I'd even written.... I'm sure it works fine with Viruses, Trend Micro software always does.... but the number of false positives really bothers me.

Anyways.. .that's my 2cents..

Peace,
    HT

Banned
    I'm sure it works fine with Viruses, Trend Micro software always does.... but the number of false positives really bothers me.
    Keep in mind that this is a beta release... We really can't judge to harshly until we see the final release.

Thanks for the bit of info
    I have been using Housecall for years
    as a backup to other virus utility programs
    like AVG/Norton/McAfee
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I tried out the beta and so far i like it.... it seemed to catch alot of stuff even though it did take a while but, i think that is because it is scanning more things now... we will see how it pans out.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    Exactly... The thing nobody realizes is that this isn't just an update to the pattern file. This is 2 brand new, extra scans.

I have a not used housecall for a period of time and it is great to see the new interface and new scans. I noticed that the spyware/adware scan doesn't show the patch of detected infected files and registry, it will be better if they are listed. I found a few spyware/adware not detected by Microsoft Antispyware, adaware and spybot. Good to have all-in-one scan without having to run many scanners which may take a longer time.

When I had to use an online scan Id use panda active scan (www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

I had a problem with one machine the other day not workin with panda so I used trend again to find they had a new scan.

I was pretty happy with it from what I could tell it did a decent job and all. The spyware scan prove to be valueable in the future.